Police used batons and horses to disperse rock-throwing protesters in Serbia’s capital last night as violence erupted for a second day amid claims that the president is manipulating the coronavirus crisis for his own gain. President Aleksander Vucic brought in one of the strictest lockdowns in Europe in March in order to combat the virus, before prematurely declaring victory in May and lifting almost all restrictions – just in time for the election. He won the June 21 vote by a landslide while continuing to insist that the virus was under control, before quickly reversing his stance and announcing that lockdown would have to be reimposed – sparking riots. Vucic has now backtracked on the plan to reintroduce lockdown, but anger over his handling of the crisis and allegations that he covered up virus data during the election continues, with protesters fighting running battles with police in the capital Belgrade. The protests have united people from both the left-wing and far-right in anger at Vucic, and saw activists attempt to storm the state assembly building. Protesters throw projectiles at riot police outside Serbia’s National Assembly building in Belgrade during a demonstration against a weekend curfew announced to combat a resurgence of… Read full this story
- Bulgaria riots: Police, anti-government protesters clash in Sofia
- THOUSANDS of Brits are ignoring 14-day quarantine rules after returning from 'red' countries - amid fury at minister's refusal to consider airport tests while testing centres sit unused
- 'Poisoned' Alexei Navalny is driven out of hospital in Russia before his plane journey to Germany for specialist treatment after his wife begged Putin to release her comatose husband amid claims of a cover up by doctors claiming he has 'heart disease'
- Revealed: Lebanon's president and PM were warned three weeks ago that stash of chemicals would 'destroy Beirut' if it exploded - as country teeters on the brink after cabinet resigned and PM claimed corruption was 'bigger than the state'
- Police declare a riot TWICE on July 4 in Portland while protesters risk ten years in jail for throwing a Columbus statue into Baltimore harbor hours after president called them 'Nazis' - as demonstrations continue across the US
- Serbian protesters lash out at Vucic's botched pandemic response
- George Floyd protesters defy curfews across the country - but tensions ease despite tear gas being used on crowds in Atlanta and 1,600 active duty soldiers deployed to Washington DC
- Thousands of cornavirus conspiracy theorists gather in London: Huge crowd of anti-vaxxers who say pandemic is a 'New World Order' HOAX join Jeremy Corbyn's brother and David Icke in Trafalgar Square
- Frail 92-year-old Extinction Rebellion protester is among 90 activists arrested in central London after wheelchair-user ends up collapsed on road - as 3,000-strong eco-mob flood capital
- Amber Heard is seen posing injury-free with Keith Richards just after she claimed Johnny Depp 'backhanded' her - splattering blood on the wall and leaving her with a swollen face and split lip - as lawyer accuses her of 'weaving a web of lies'
Serbian riot police batter rock-hurling protesters as thousands rally outside the parliament building for a second-day running amid claims the president is manipulating the country's rising coronavirus death toll numbers have 487 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at July 8, 2020. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.