Mozilla, maker of the Firefox web browser, is laying off 250 employees and closing its operations in Taipei, Taiwan, the company said in a blog post Tuesday. The Mountain View company, which has a large San Francisco office, previously had layoffs in January, which a former company executive said affected 70 people. The decision is part of a major restructuring that will see the company invest in new products and reduce investment in some of the tools that make up its signature Firefox browser, CEO Mitchell Baker wrote in a letter to employees. Baker said initial investments would center on its Pocket product, which lets readers save online stories to read later, as well as its Hubs virtual reality project and VPN. The company is also creating a new design and user experience team to support the products and a new applied machine learning team. Baker wrote that the company’s plan prior to the pandemic already involved moving into other product areas and changes to Firefox, but that “economic conditions resulting from the global pandemic have significantly impacted our revenue. As a result, our pre-COVID plan was no longer workable.” “I desperately wish that all those who choose Mozilla as… Read full this story
- Mountain View's oldest restaurant has closed after 75 years
- 'It breaks our heart': Hillside Supper Club has permanently closed amid pandemic
- China takes advantage of USS Roosevelt being crippled by coronavirus and threatens Taiwan with aircraft carrier and warship strike group as it increases military presence in the disputed region
- Britain's covid cardboard mountain: Huge mounds of packaging pile up at recycling centres closed for coronavirus as councils face surge in flytipping
- Coronavirus In PA: Schools, Businesses Closed 'Indefinitely'
- Fallout 76 Power Armor locations: where to find Power Armor
- Fallout 76 treasure: all treasure locations
- Philz to re-open 27 Bay Area locations on Wednesday under new mobile pickup concept
- Coronavirus live updates: Oakland to close streets to give more exercise space to pedestrians, bicyclists
- UFC 249 fight card, odds, location rumors, date: Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje to headline event
Mountain View’s Mozilla to lay off 250, close Taiwan location have 329 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at August 12, 2020. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.