Amid uncertainty about planning the Tokyo Olympics, IOC president Thomas Bach said that progress with vaccines and rapid testing for COVID-19 would not be the complete answer for staging the rescheduled games.“They will not be the silver bullet but they can greatly facilitate the organization of the games,” Bach said at a news conference after an International Olympic Committee board meeting.While the Japanese public has been skeptical about the July 23-Aug. 8 games going ahead, Olympic Minister Seiko Hashimoto said this week “I feel we have to hold them no matter what.” Bach declined Wednesday to speculate on the Tokyo Olympics being held without fans in the venues as has become the global reality for sports in 2020.“We don’t know how the world looks like tomorrow,” Bach said. “So how can you expect from us to know how the world looks in 320 days from today?” He asked athletes to accept any demands made of them in traveling to and staying in Japan next year.“Nobody can just look at him or herself and say ‘I do not want this’ or ‘I don’t think this is fair.’ You have to show solidarity there in order to fight… Read full this story
- Olympics: IOC chief Thomas Bach calls for 'patience' over Tokyo Games
- Tokyo Olympics: China offers vaccines to all participating athletes, says IOC
- Olympics: IOC says expects costs of up to US$800 million for delayed Tokyo Games
- Olympics: IOC remains 'fully committed' to staging Games in 2021
- ‘No silver bullet’: Torch relay struggles highlight hurdles for pandemic Olympics
- Will Japanese Olympians be vaccinated ahead of the public?
- EXPLAINER: Tokyo Olympics march on without fans from abroad
- Tokyo Olympics: More tests, no quarantine in updated rules
- International spectators to be barred from Tokyo Olympics
- No mandatory coronavirus vaccine for Tokyo Olympics, says IOC chief
Vaccines won’t be ‘silver bullet’ for staging Olympics: IOC president Bach have 297 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at September 10, 2020. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.