The murderer of a one-year-old boy who was serving life in prison for his evil acts has died behind bars.
Andrew Lloyd murdered his girlfriend Rebecca Lewis’s 13-month-old baby son Aaron Gilbert, after subjecting him to a four-week catalogue of brutality back in 2005 in Swansea.
The Prison Service has now confirmed he has died whilst serving his term in prison aged 37.
Andrew Lloyd, pictured, murdered his girlfriend’s 13-month-old son Aaron Gilbert after weeks of abuse ending with him shaking him so violently he hit his head against a wall
A spokeswoman said: ‘HMP Full Sutton prisoner Andrew Lloyd died in custody on November 19. The Prisons and Probation Ombudsman has been informed.’
A Swansea Crown Court jury had found Lewis guilty of failing to protect her son from violent, drug-taking Lloyd at their home in Gwylfa Road, Townhill.
Lloyd viciously attacked the baby when he was alone with him on May 5, 2005.
He lost his temper and shook Aaron violently, causing his head to collide with a wall.
Lloyd killed 13-month Aaron Gilbert after subjecting him to a sustained, four-week catalogue of brutality.
Mum Lewis had left Aaron with Lloyd while she went shopping – even though she knew he had assaulted him during weeks of abuse.
Aaron’s mother Rebecca Lewis, 21 at the time, went shopping and left her son with Lloyd despite knowing about the abuse
After Aaron died in hospital the following day, a pathologist found a severe brain injury and almost 50 external injuries.
Lloyd, then 23, was sentenced in December 2006 at Swansea Crown Court with Aaron’s mother, then 21-year-old Lewis.
He was given a minimum of 24 years in prison, meaning he would have been 47 if he served his full term.
Lewis was jailed for seven years for familial homicide and attempting to pervert the course of justice in what was a legal landmark at the time.
She was one of the first people in Wales and England to face the charge of familial homicide.
At the time, Swansea Crown Court heard that the relationship between Lewis and Lloyd began at the end of March 2005.
After moving in with Lewis, Lloyd developed a hatred of baby Aaron. The jury heard how he had yelled at him, picked him up by his ears, thrown bottles at him, swung him by his ankles ‘like someone swinging a cat by its tail’, put a blanket over him as if to smother him, and blown cannabis smoke in his face.
In a landmark case, Lewis was sentenced to seven years in prison for familial homicide and attempting to pervert the course of justice
There was also evidence that five days before Aaron died, Lloyd bit him hard on the cheek.
Aaron became so disfigured by being systematically and violently assaulted that a neighbour likened his appearance to that of the Elephant Man.
Sentencing Lloyd, the judge, Mr Justice Langstaff said at the time: ‘You murdered Aaron after subjecting him to a sustained catalogue of brutality during the last four weeks of his life.
‘I regard your conduct during those four weeks as being effectively inseparable from what you did on the day when you inflicted the fatal injury.’
In 2007, Lloyd’s case reached London’s Appeal Court as he challenged his minimum jail tariff of 24 years.
His lawyers argued that the sentence took insufficient account of his youth and turbulent personal background.
But Lord Justice Gage said doctors had noted 50 separate injuries on Aaron’s body after his death in May 2005.
The injuries covered his small body ‘from head to foot’.
He said Lloyd had inflicted ‘significant and extreme abuse’ and, but for his youth and background of turmoil, a 30-year tariff might havebeen imposed.
‘This was a dreadful case,’ he concluded at the time, rejecting Lloyd’s appeal.
- Father is jailed for 12 years after killing his 14-month-old baby girl in a violent rage which left her with bite marks and a bleed on the brain as toddler's devastated mother says 'I'll never be the same again’
- Siblings, aged 9 and 12, save their 6-month-old sister from being 'strangled to death by their mom by pulling her hair and biting her arms'
- 'Monsters who left my husband brain damaged are free while we face life sentence'
- 'My daddy, my hero': Two-year-old son of murdered soldier Lee Rigby attends funeral service wearing T-shirt tribute to his father
- Mother and son are charged with murder in 25-year-old cold case after he 'shot his father for $200,000 life insurance and stabbed his aunt 23 times before making it look like a drug deal gone wrong'
- White supremacist sentenced for stabbing death that took place three months after he was released from prison
- Woman serving a life sentence for murder after knifing her partner in a drunken row says she used to tell her son, six, she was 'looking after donkeys' - because it was easier than admitting she killed his father
- Father of 23-month-old twins drowned by their mother demands his ex-wife attend their inquest after her lawyers said she won't give evidence and will remain inside mental health unit
- Jury takes just three hours to convict ex-truck stop owner, 66, of the murder of 18-year-old Michelle Martinko in 1979 after cold case police match his DNA from a soda drinking straw using genealogy website
- Mom, 35, kills her 3-week-old son after she got drunk on six shots of tequila, fell asleep while breastfeeding and smothered him
- 'I just want the truth': Man 'wrongfully convicted' for killing his high school girlfriend 10 YEARS after she was found dead calls for justice in first interview since being freed following nine years behind bars
- Her Royal Happiness: Meghan Markle beams as she takes her dogs for a walk with Archie in a baby carrier - as Prince Harry finally arrives in Canada to start their new life after his last royal engagement
- A life sentence for Frances Inglis makes no sense – but freeing Munir Hussain does
- Leland Pankey sentenced to 72 years in prison for death of his 7-year-old son, Caden McWilliams
- Dad who encased body of his starved seven-year-old son in CONCRETE gets 72 years behind bars
- Gannon Staunch’s mom vows to get justice after step-mom arrested for ‘heinous’ murder of 11-year-old
- More than 70 terrorists back on the streets of London after serving jail sentences
- Congress finally outlaws lynching - 65 years after torture and murder of 14-year-old Emmett Till - and 120 years since the first attempt to declare it illegal
- Mother pleads no contest to charges in son’s abuse death
- Teen babysitter, 17, ‘murdered 3-month-old boy’ who died from shocking brain and skull injuries
Baby killer who murdered girlfriend's 13-month-old son after four weeks of abuse is found dead in prison while serving life sentence have 1099 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 23, 2020. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.