ONE of Joe Biden’s Covid-19 advisors said people who celebrated Thanksgiving with family and friends will be “in ICUs over Christmas and New Year.”
Gounder told CBS News: “We fully expect that in about a week or two after Thanksgiving we will see an increase in cases first.
“Then, about a week or two later, you’ll start to see an increase in hospitalizations, and then another week or two after that you’ll start to see deaths.
“Unfortunately, that means that many people who celebrated with family, with friends over Thanksgiving will find themselves in the hospital, in ICUs over Christmas and New Years.”
Her comments come as admissions surge after millions of Americans traveled to be with loved ones this week in spite of the CDC guidelines to stay home and celebrate virtually.
The Covid Tracking Project noted this evening that hospitalizations were skyrocketing in three regions as the number of hospitalized patients in California doubled from 4,000 on November 12 to more than 8,000 today.
There were 155,596 new cases and 1,189 deaths reported yesterday which upped infections to 13.4 million and Covid-19 fatalities to 266,594 by Sunday afternoon.
Despite warnings from health experts not to travel or gather, the day before Thanksgiving, the TSA reported more than 1.07 million people passed through US airports.
In the week leading up to the national holiday, nearly six million Americans flew to celebrate with family and friends, flouting the health advice.
In the days before Thanksgiving, 30 states had record daily new cases while 16 others reported record seven-day averages for new cases on Thursday and Friday.
Dr Leana Wen also deaths could double to 4,000 within 10 days after the Thanksgiving surge.
Her disturbing prediction came after Dr Anthony Fauci said an uptick was likely in December “if the surge takes a turn of continuing to go up.”
The visiting professor at George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health echoed Fauci’s fears of another holiday spike, saying “we cannot let our guard down.”
“If anything, we are rounding the corner into a calamity. We’re soon going to exceed well more than 2,000 deaths, maybe 3,000, 4,000 deaths every single day here in the US,” Wen told CNN.
Her comments on Black Friday came as the country topped 13 million infections with 205,000 new cases, marking the 25th day in a row with more than 100,000 new cases in the USA.
Meanwhile, Dr Anthony Fauci on Sunday forecasted that it will be “months” before children can get the coronavirus vaccine because it must first be tested for safety and effectiveness among adults.
Most read in News
Patel blasts lefty lawyers & ‘do-gooding’ celebs for blocking killers’ deportation
BEAR KILL FEAR
Missing Brit hiker Esther Dingley ‘may have been killed by a mountain bear’
Moderate boozing at 3 key ages ‘damages the brain’ – are you drinking too much?
Millions of grandparents to be vaccinated ‘within weeks’ as Covid jabs arrive
‘ALWAYS IN MY HEART’
‘Beautiful angel’, 20, found ‘murdered’ at flat as friends pay tribute
BOUNCE BACK BRITAIN
PM vows UK will be in ‘different world’ by summer & hints at tax cuts
The nation’s top infectious disease expert shared his assessment in a more than 15-minute-long interview with NBC anchor Chuck Todd on Meet the Press.
Todd pointed out that the biotech company Moderna did not do clinical trials on people under age 18, while another vaccine maker, Pfizer, went down to age 12 but no younger in its trials.
“It’s going to be months [before children will be vaccinated,” Fauci replied. “Traditionally when you have a situation like a new vaccine, you want to make sure, because children as well as pregnant women, are vulnerable.”
- Trump's family bring in the New Year at Mar-a-Lago without him: Tiffany, Don Jr, Eric and their other halves join hundreds of maskless guests at $1k-a-head party to ring in 2021 after President returned to DC early
- COVID: Bay Area Health Officials Bracing For Christmas, New Year’s Surge In Cases
- COVID-19: How to minimise your risk during Yuletide, new year
- US COVID-19 cases hit grim milestone of 20m on New Year's Day
- Boris Johnson will decide new tiers TONIGHT amid fears he will plunge two-thirds of England into toughest level four tomorrow as SAGE adviser calls for national lockdown to prevent a New Year ‘catastrophe’ and admissions rise in EVERY region
- 'Covid loves a crowd': NHS chief Prof Stephen Powis tells Britons NOT to throw New Year's Eve parties and see in 2021 'within the rules'
- '2020, you can do one!' Caprice Bourret, 49, looks radiant in a pink velvet mini dress as she toasts to the New Year in festive snaps
- New Year’s Eve parties ‘should not be happening’ as millions plunged into tougher tiers
- Robbie Savage's mum Val shares list of New Year heroes and makes new friend called Alexa
- Tight Restrictions Across Italy for New Year’s Celebrations
- CNN's New Year's Eve Hypocrisy | Opinion
- 'I'm an ER Doctor Working on New Year's Day'
- Expats welcoming the New Year in Vietnam: sad but safe
- New Year 2021 around the world — Live updates
- New Year 2021 around the world — As it happened
- Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago will host its black-tie New Year Eve gala with tickets going for $1,000 each as coronavirus cases surge in Florida
- 'We will meet again': The Queen gives a nod to Dame Vera Lynn as she wishes Britons a 'Happy and Healthy New Year' by tweeting 'while we may have more to endure, better days will return'
- 20million begin life in Tier 4 as doctors beg Brits not to have New Year parties
- David and Victoria Beckham 'flew via private jet to Miami with their children to ring in the New Year at Brooklyn's fiancée Nicola Peltz's £30M mansion'
- Hospitals in England 'on track' to have more than 20,000 Covid patients needing treatment on New Year's Eve as experts warn second wave pressure on NHS is 'on course' to exceed darkest part of the spring within days
Biden Covid adviser warns those who spent Thanksgiving with family & friends ‘will be in ICUs over Christmas & New Year’ have 1065 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at November 30, 2020. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.