A SAGE expert has called the emergence of a new mutant strain of coronavirus that has forced the cancellations of Christmas as the ‘worst moment of the pandemic’ – as it was revealed the variant is 70 per cent more infectious than others. British epidemiologist John Edmunds said today that as far as he’s concerned ‘this is the worst moment of the epidemic because of the extraordinary infectivity of the new strain’ of Covid-19. Speaking at an emergency press conference this afternoon, Robert Peston from ITV News questioned Boris Johnson, Professor Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance about the statement. In response, England’s chief medical officer Mr Whitty insisted the new strain – which has caused the Government to place London and the South East in a new Tier 4 of restrictions – was another of ‘so many terrible moments in this epidemic.’ He added: ‘But I have to say in my own view this is not the worst moment in the epidemic.’ Mr Johnson today warned the new strain – which has caused a spike in cases in the south – could increase the crucial R rate by 0.4. But Mr Whitty earlier stressed there is nothing to suggest that new… Read full this story
- Human impact on the environment may make pandemics more likely, experts warn
- NYC Mayor de Blasio says HALF of all New Yorkers will get coronavirus and warns people not to cling to Trump's 'false hope' of reopening by Easter, as doctors describe 'apocalyptic' surge in patients across overwhelmed hospitals
- The REAL reason why you can't drink milk: Experts reveal it's not lactose intolerence but a protein found in dairy products that is causing problems - and there is a solution
- New findings show ibuprofen ‘doesn’t make coronavirus symptoms better OR worse’
- Coronavirus | Densely-packed areas in cities are vulnerable, says biocomplexity expert Madhav Marathe
- Online learning rockets in coronavirus pandemic, says Pearson
- Op-Ed: I’m the daughter of a hypochondriac. I know that fear of COVID-19 won’t make us safer.
- How to scent your way to a stress-free quarantine: Experts reveal what fragrances will help to reduce anxiety and lift your spirits while self-isolating during the coronavirus pandemic
- Ban wildlife markets to avert pandemics, says UN biodiversity chief
- Coronavirus spot checks on movements as new Tasmanian COVID-19 rules begin
'This is the worst moment of the pandemic', says SAGE expert as it's revealed new 'Super-Covid' strain is 70% MORE infectious and makes up 60% of new cases in London have 372 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 19, 2020. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.