Five years removed from the Broncos’ last Super Bowl championship, a day removed from another disappointing year out of the playoffs and hours removed from the birth of his seventh grandchild, John Elway stepped down as general manager Monday, but will remain with the team as president of football operations. Elway, 60, arrived at his decision after several lengthy discussions with president/CEO Joe Ellis over the past month and informed the team’s coaching and scouting staffs during an early afternoon video meeting. Elway will lead the search for a new general manager. The hire will report to Elway but will have final say on personnel. “Looking at the last 10 years, I knew there was going to be a time at some point that this was the position I was hoping to move into,” he said during a 22-minute Zoom conference. “I think it’s the right time for me with everything that’s gone on this year and being 60 years old. There are some other things in life that I’d like to do, but I’d still like to be involved with football.” The Broncos won five consecutive AFC West titles early in Elway’s tenure, but the inability to procure a… Read full this story
- Are John Elway’s Broncos behind the curve of today’s NFL, or lumbering ahead of it?
- Broncos Insider: Give John Elway credit for signing overlooked guys who have emerged as potential impact players
- Broncos Mailbag: Does John Elway really think Drew Lock is being helped by not playing?
- Texans surprisingly fire general manager Brian Gaine less than 18 months after hiring him
- Here's the Patriots executive the Texans could target as their next general manager
- Ex-Panthers GM Dave Gettleman expected to be Giants' next general manager
- Broncos QB shuffle a tired tune in Denver
- Troy Aikman Should Be Considered For Dallas Cowboys Head of Operations, per NFL Reporter
- Stephanie Stradley’s Texans-Broncos Q&A with Nicki Jhabvala
- Broncos Insider: Who is currently the most scorned professional athlete in Denver sports?
John Elway steps down as Broncos’ general manager but will oversee football operations have 331 words, post on www.denverpost.com at January 4, 2021. This is cached page on Travel Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.