Peru’s COVID-19 death toll has more than doubled following an official review of deaths.
A new analysis of the number of fatalities found there have been 180,764 in a population of about 32.6 million, compared to recent data indicating that 69,342 people had died from coronavirus .
The new figure makes Peru the country with the world’s highest death rate per capita, according to Johns Hopkins University.
Peru now stands at more than 500 COVID-19 deaths per 100,000 people.
The announcement was made following the presentation of a report by a working group commissioned to analyse and update the death toll.
Health minister Oscar Ugarte said the criteria for assigning coronavirus as a cause of death were changed.
More on Covid-19
- NHS England to be led by woman for first time as Amanda Pritchard takes charge
- COVID-19: ‘No one really knows’ what level coronavirus cases will reach, says Health Secretary Sajid Javid
- COVID-19: UK records 27,734 new coronavirus cases and 91 more deaths
- COVID-19: Fully vaccinated travellers from amber list EU and US countries won’t have to quarantine on arrival from Monday
- COVID-19: How will allowing fully vaccinated US and EU travellers into the UK work – and might they return the favour?
- COVID-19: Coronavirus tests ‘won’t be compulsory’ for fully vaccinated people to avoid isolation if ‘pinged’ from 16 August
Previously, only those who “had a positive diagnostic test” were considered to have died from the virus, but other criteria have since been incorporated.
The new toll includes virus deaths reported between March 2020 and 22 May this year.
Experts had long warned that the true number of fatalities was being undercounted in official statistics.
Peru has been among the hardest-hit Latin America countries during the pandemic, with its hospitals overcrowded with patients and demand for oxygen outstripping availability. It has has registered 1.9 million coronavirus infections in total.
Only Brazil and Mexico have reported higher death tolls from the disease.
- Santa Anita Park’s Death Toll Reaches 30 Racehorses
- Break Your Date with Death
- Beijing Targets Online Political Rumors, Following Public Outrage Over Rain Storm
- PGMOL: No goalkeeper VAR review on Premier League penalties
- Microsoft's Black Tuesday toll: KB 3003743, IE11, EMET 5, and security webcasts
- Official Rules of The Women's Health Perfect Body Diet Sweepstakes
- Carnival Ride Sweepstakes Official Rules
- 2019 AFL season: Round 19 preview
- The Apothecary's 2013 Year In Review: Americans Care Most About Obamacare's Steep Premium Hikes
- High Availability with SQL Server and Double-Take
- 2015: The Year in Review
- #InTheMoment Sweepstakes OFFICIAL RULES
- Why It’s Unusual for Drivers to Be Charged in Cyclist Deaths
- HTC One deep-dive review: A smartphone that flirts with perfection
- Nigel Barker's Beauty Equation Official Contest Rules
- "Win a $100 Gift Card" Official Rules
- Is Georgia Governor Nathan Deal's Wage Increase For Top Officials Really Cronyism?
- Red Sox Review: Only the miserable Orioles can save us now
- India's Top Court Declines Review of 2G Licenses Cancellation
- "Win a Trip to Venezuela" Official Rules
COVID-19: Peru's death toll more than doubles to over 180,000 following official review have 473 words, post on news.sky.com at June 1, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.