A DAD has told of his agony after he watched daughter, 25, suffer cardiac arrest in front of him.
Cardiff City team doctor, Len Nokes, 64, saw paramedics attempt to revive his 25-year-old daughter Claire at a friends house.
But she never regained consciousness – and sadly died in hospital just 10 months later.
Professor Nokes told Wales Online: "My daughter collapsed at a friend's house and I got there the same time as the paramedics.
"I was watching what was going on and could see on the screen her heart was in a rhythm that wasn't shockable.
"Her heart stopped beating for so long she had a lack of oxygen to her brain and later passed away naturally in hospital."
Unknown to Claire or her parents – she had undiagnosed myocarditis.
He added: "From that moment onwards I decided I didn't want another parent to go through what we had gone through."
Now he and his wife Sarah are fighting to raise awareness – and to help more people survive cardiac arrests.
A cardiac arrest, also known as cardiopulmonary arrest, happens when your heart suddenly stops pumping blood around your body.
It is possible to survive a cardiac arrest, but it is vital to get the right treatment quickly.
Prof Nokes now persuades businesses to register their defibrillators – and to install them in unlocked cabinets on exterior walls.
This means they can be used by anyone, at any time.
Someone who has had a cardiac arrest will collapse unconscious.
Their breathing will be irregular and may stop, and they will be unresponsive.
When a cardiac arrest happens there is no time to lose, it is a life-threatening emergency, and calling an ambulance is vital.
While waiting for an ambulance performing CPR can help keep a person alive.
In the majority of cases, the killer condition is caused by an abnormal heart rhythm called ventricular fibrillation.
Most read in News
VF is an electrical fault, where the electrical activity of the heart gets so chaotic the heart stops pumping suddenly, and quivers instead.
VF can be corrected by shocking the heart with a defibrillator , by a paramedic, doctor or member of the public if there is a community defibrillator nearby.
If not, performing CPR until a paramedic arrives is vital to keep blood flowing around the body, and to help the patient breathe.
- Horror moment Jay Bouwmeester collapses on bench with cardiac arrest as St. Louis Blues and Anaheim Ducks game cancelled
- Bengali actor and former TMC MP Tapas Paul dies of cardiac arrest
- Dad ‘forced young daughters out into freezing cold to watch him douse mom in gasoline and set her on fire’
- Heartbreaking moment distraught mother says a final goodbye to the 13-week-old son she'd wanted for 20 years - after a cardiac arrest left him severely brain damaged
- WATCH: Daughter Of ‘Miracle On Ice’ Hockey Coach Says Dad Would Have Loved Trump
- 'I'm the Son of the King': Prince Jackson Says He Knew Dad Michael Was Famous When Grown Men Fainted at His Shows
- Dad, 33, guilty of killing 14-month-old girl by shaking her to death after partner returned to work from maternity leave
- Mom Talks Heartbreak After Twin Daughters Are Both Diagnosed with Cancer: 'Been Through Too Much'
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs Details His First Day as Single Dad After Death of Ex-Girlfriend Kim Porter
- Dad’s agony as 8-month-old baby son becomes youngest Brit with suspected coronavirus after being treated by infected GP
- 'Experience all that your heart desires!' Phillip Schofield's daughter Ruby liked cryptic tweet about life and love just DAYS before her dad came out as gay
- Arrested in Rose Valley Chit Fund Scam, Tapas Pal Struggled to Clean up His Image Before His Sudden Death
- Jenna Bush Hager reveals dad George W. warned her about drinking when she was in her early 20s, admitting to her that alcohol 'got in the way' of what 'mattered most' to him
- Los Angeles fire: 8 injured including baby as blaze rips through 25-storey tower block
- Alastair Campbell's comedian daughter Grace says she's been competing with Tony Blair for her father's attention 'from birth' - and the ex-PM 'apologised' to her after she was heckled for the Iraq War during a gig
- Channing Tatum is a doting dad as he carries daughter Everly on his shoulders after horseback riding lessons in LA
- BEL MOONEY: Can I do anything to save my alcoholic daughter?
- Dancing On Ice's Kevin Kilbane delights in playing the doting step-dad to fiancée Brianne Delcourt's daughter Gracie... as he wheels her around in a shopping trolley
- Man, 33, who ‘ran pregnant girlfriend off road before shooting her dead’ charged with murder of her and unborn daughter
- Former volleyball stars Carrie McCaw, 44, and Lesley Prather, 44, and their 12-year-old daughters are killed in a Missouri highway crash after 'DUI suspect' lost control and crossed into the opposite lane
Dad’s agony after he watched daughter, 25, suffer cardiac arrest in front of him have 893 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at July 31, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.