Head coach Dan Mullen believes in his new guy. Well, not exactly new since Jones joined the program in 2018.
Earlier this week, Mullen made it clear that Jones is ready to take over during the 2021 season.
“One of the things I love about Emory is here’s a guy that’s come in, very highly regarded and the funny one is pocket passer coming out of high school, but very highly regarded,” Mullen said on the Paul Finebaum Show. “Came in and very patiently has waited his turn — learn, continue to grow, develop. But I want to say waited his turn — instead of rushing his career, he has worried about developing his career. So he has continued to develop throughout his career. Now, he has got a strong arm and he is a dynamic playmaker with his feet. And he has experience. And I think when you look at those combinations of things — if you look, if you go to his stat line and you look at his career attempts, completions, yards, touchdown passes, carries, yards, touchdown runs — you wouldn’t look at him as a guy that’s never played much football or a rookie. Where he lacks in maybe his career statistic line is starts — not playing, his starts, games appeared in, key moments.
"And if you go back through two years ago, Trask goes down against Auburn, he comes in at a key moment of the game, two possessions. He leads us down, we score. Lot of times last year, I’d roll him in and he’d do well. I’d just leave him in. Wasn’t like, ‘Hey, you’re going in for this package.’ ‘I’m putting you in, let’s see what you can go do.’ And we’ve done that with him his whole career. So I think he’s prepared for this moment, and I think he’s ready to take advantage of it.”
In three seasons, Jones is 55 of 86 passing for 613 yards, seven touchdowns, one interception and a 64% completion percentage. He's efficient overall, but last season, he was just 18 of 32 in limited action, throwing 221 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.
Jones is also efficient on the ground, rushing 92 times over three seasons for 514 yards, six touchdowns and averaging 5.6 yards per rush.
As a member of the Class of 2018, Jones was a four-star prospect according to the 247Sports composite rankings. He was the No. 11 overall prospect in the state of Georgia, the No. 5 dual-threat quarterback in the class and the No. 85 overall prospect in the class.
The Florida Gators are scheduled to open up the 2021 regular season at home against Florida Atlantic on Saturday, September 4th at 7:30 p.m. ET.
- Maro Itoje reveals there's no place like Rome as he prepares for Six Nations return to Eternal City with England
- TV chef James Martin reveals fan once pelted him with BUTTER as he prepares for 'immersive' 2018 tour
- Bill Murray is back! Dan Aykroyd confirms his co-star will return to the big screen in Ghostbusters 2020
- 'Something had to give': Today sports presenter Tony Jones quits Nine's breakfast show due to his 'unsustainable' workload
- Tony Jones QUITS the Today show: Surly sports reporter resigns from Nine's struggling breakfast program - but insists it was his decision to leave
- Megyn Kelly's Interview With Alex Jones Is Truncated And Uneventful
- Neil Jones relives Katya's 'shock kiss with Seann Walsh' and why it didn't ruin them
- Booker T. Jones Is Finally Ready to Dispel the Myths of the Stax Era
- Report: Butch Jones withdraws from Rutgers coaching search
- Ant McPartlin on how he feared he’d injured his mum as star relives horrific drink drive crash that ‘brought him to his lowest’
- Eddie Jones facing anxious Kyle Sinckler wait ahead of Rugby World Cup final
- Moment Seann Walsh got dumped by Rebecca Humphries as he slunk out of Strictly studio
- Seann Walsh and Katya Jones 'kissed on MULTIPLE occasions in the same boozer'
- BAFTA TV Awards 2016 wins for Mark Rylance, Wolf Hall and Suranne Jones with Peter Kay left speechless
- Strictly Come Dancing: Seann Walsh and Katya Jones give first interview since kiss scandal - RECAP
- Vinnie Jones weeps as he reveals he’s cried almost every night since wife’s tragic cancer death at 53
- Eddie Jones insists his England team know how to win Rugby World Cup
- Strictly's Neil Jones reveals what the pro dancers really do on a Sunday
- ‘Ghostbusters’ Reboot Director Paul Feig Defends Leslie Jones, Comments on New Film
- Gartner to CIOs: Prepare for Uncertainty
Dan Mullen on Emory Jones: 'I think he's prepared for this moment' have 803 words, post on 247sports.com at July 25, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.