Solita Monsod showed everyone how many times President Duterte talked about resigning during his first six-year term ("Why he's running for VP," Opinion, 7/10/21). On a major problem he promised in 2016 to resolve quickly, he is now saying in utter frustration: "I cannot fight corruption… Can you stop it? You cannot. There is no way."
So why does he appear so "atat na atat" to run for vice president — with the right to pick a presidential candidate he can easily dispose of once they get elected? "Posturing (lang) 'yan… so they would not treat you badly kasi paalis na ako…" ("Duterte: Consider me for vice presidency to 'maintain equilibrium,'" Inquirer.net, 7/1/21).
In other words, he was just "bluffing," so no one would treat him like a lame duck. What bluffer would openly admit he is just bluffing? If this was a poker game, he might as well have laid his cards on the table. That gives the lie to all his pretenses. He is such a terrible liar.
Be that as it may, is Mr. Duterte saying that despite his own public confession that he is "inutil" to do anything about the rampant corruption (among many other things— e.g., the Chinese invasion in the West Philippine Sea, the unprecedented increase in drug trafficking, etc.) during his own administration, he still thinks he is God's gift to the Filipino people? Excepting Harry Roque and Salvador Panelo, anyone else, please, help us figure this one out.
JANNO M. MONTECRISTO [email protected]
- On the Philippines’ South China Sea policy: Let us help our president
- 10 best upcoming Android games: Fortnite, Project Cars, Harry Potter and more
- Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: Intel will provide AI
- Medium to the stars’ who honed skills at sick daughter’s bedside now uses tarot to win at poker… bagging up to £15,000
- KIM’S KORNER – Basketball: Elevate Your Game (Part 2)
- The CIA made a Magic: The Gathering-style card game for training agents, and we played it
- Ameristar Casino Hotel East Chicago opens Northwest Indiana’s first landside gaming area
- ‘My son is hooked on video games
- Sharks Tonight: A pivotal Game 5 awaits. “I think we are starting to figure it out”
- GAME REVIEW: God of War
- Broward deputy stole 'Fifty Shades' DVD and Deadpool action figures from Walmart, cops say
- ‘I’m crushing it’: How Michael Cohen, touting his access to President Trump, convinced companies to pay millions
- NFL seeks help from Congress on sports gambling ruling
- St Kilda coach Alan Richardson happy that club president has high expectations despite poor season
- Kids are getting addicted to gaming
- Birth of a video game: How a small Seattle studio creates a sequel to a smash hit — with Microsoft’s help
- NBA: Warriors, Rockets set for Game 7 in West finals
- Mississippians could legally bet on football games this season. Here's what needs to happen.
- Chicago State picks Zaldwaynaka 'Z' Scott as new president
- Figure skating in Harlem continues to grow
Posturing? Help us figure out the President’s poker game have 496 words, post on opinion.inquirer.net at July 29, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.