Tokyo ● Thu, July 22 2021
Top Japanese Olympic sponsors are skipping the opening ceremony and scaling back their advertising ambitions as deep public opposition renders the Tokyo Games a “toxic” proposition.
Auto giant Toyota said this week its executives will not attend Friday’s ceremony after the public was barred over infection fears.
Fewer than 1,000 Olympic officials and VIPs including sponsors are expected to be allowed into the stands.
But firms have lined up to make clear that their executives won’t be among them.
Panasonic, Bridgestone, Fujitsu and tech group NEC, all Tokyo 2020 sponsors, told AFP their top brass will skip the opening.
Toyota also said Monday it had scrapped plans to run an Olympic-linked campaign in Japan, where opinion polls have consistently revealed public antipathy to holding the virus-postponed Games this summer…
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
- Japan Airlines are giving away 50,000 free round trip flights during the Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- Twenty athletes set to light up the Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- Tokyo 2020 to take measures after asbestos found at venue: Asahi
- Tokyo 2020 celebrates start of Olympic and Paralympic year
- Breakingviews - Tokyo brings home the Olympic gold in 2020
- Year-Ender 2019: Shooting a ‘happy headache’, Athletics a worry for India ahead of Tokyo Olympics
- I believe we can play the final of Tokyo Olympics: hockey captain Manpreet
- The Federal Election Commission Could Be Effectively Sidelined in 2020
- Trump Can Win in 2020. But History Tells Us It Won’t Be Easy.
- Time to Say Good-bye to Some 2020 Candidates
- Nintendo’s Tokyo store isn’t large enough for its fan base
- Adama Traore dilemma as Wolves ace is called up by both Spain AND Mali
- Is this the most bizarre sponsored post ever? Former Home and Away star Pia Miller takes a NAP next to her new $2,690 Louis Vuitton handbag
- Sports predictions for 2020: From Team GB’s medal haul to England’s Euro hopes
- High-end stores in Hong Kong face closures as mainland Chinese stay away
- Kick off 2020 in vogue: Japan's floating hotels, Seychelles's private submarine refine luxe cruising
- Sport in 2020 calendar: your month-by-month guide to the year ahead
- These 3 transformative technologies will have the biggest impact on 2020
- Vinesh Phogat wins bronze at World Wrestling Championship, qualifies for Tokyo Olympics
- Timeshare Board Members Association (TBMA) Announces Orlando 2020 Conference, May 17-19, 2020
Sponsors of unpopular Tokyo 2020 face branding dilemma have 410 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.