Tokyo ● Thu, July 22 2021
Top Japanese Olympic sponsors are skipping the opening ceremony and scaling back their advertising ambitions as deep public opposition renders the Tokyo Games a “toxic” proposition.
Auto giant Toyota said this week its executives will not attend Friday’s ceremony after the public was barred over infection fears.
Fewer than 1,000 Olympic officials and VIPs including sponsors are expected to be allowed into the stands.
But firms have lined up to make clear that their executives won’t be among them.
Panasonic, Bridgestone, Fujitsu and tech group NEC, all Tokyo 2020 sponsors, told AFP their top brass will skip the opening.
Toyota also said Monday it had scrapped plans to run an Olympic-linked campaign in Japan, where opinion polls have consistently revealed public antipathy to holding the virus-postponed Games this summer…
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
- Olympics: Tokyo 2020 living with spectre of killer quake
- Japan launches 'telework' campaign to ease Tokyo 2020 congestion
- Tokyo, Madrid, Istanbul make cut for 2020 Olympics
- Agriculture restructuring aims for brand popularity abroad
- Angel Face and the name of Ly Nha Ky at Cannes
- Vietnam’s new brand building arena
- The profit challenge of green brand development
- Japan nuclear refugees face dilemma over returning home
- Japan recovering, faces debt, euro risks: IMF
- Export credit insurance unpopular
- Chinese tour scams cause profit dilemma in Vietnam
- Man City land five-year sponsor deal with Nissan
- State Bank faces interest rate dilemma
- Energy dilemma prompts a choice where sustai nability and security coincide
- Bidrico Officially Sponsors APEC Summit 2017
- Big brands still spend millions of dollars to polish images
- Challenge for Cashew to Become Major Export by 2020
- VN retailers face pressure as foreign firms enter the market
- Japan’s leading finance group sponsors US$384 million for Vietjet Air
- Brand Development: Shortest Way to Boost Exports
Sponsors of unpopular Tokyo 2020 face branding dilemma have 329 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.