Tokyo ● Thu, July 22 2021
The head of the World Health Organization told Olympic chiefs “the world is failing” to stop COVID-19 as the pandemic-delayed Tokyo 2020 sports program got underway on Wednesday.
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said an uneven vaccine rollout risked worsening the crisis but hoped the Olympics could be a “message of hope” to a pandemic-weary world.
“The pandemic is a test the world is failing. More than four million people have died and more continue to die. Already this year the number of deaths is more than double last year’s total,” Tedros said.
“The threat is not over anywhere until it’s over everywhere. Anyone who thinks the pandemic is over is living in a fool’s paradise,” he added.
Tedros spoke without wearing a mask at the International Olympic Committee session, held at a luxury hot…
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
- Covid-19 cases continue climbing in US during holiday season
- Social media must prepare for flood of Covid-19 vaccine misinformation
- Fact Check: Has COVID-19 Had No Impact on Overall US Deaths This Year?
- NFL charging ahead with Super Bowl dreams as Covid-19 threatens to derail path to Tampa
- Are London's Covid-19 hotspots linked by the UNDERGROUND? Map shows striking resemblance between the tube network and infection rates across the capital
- India leads the world in AI adoption, thanks to COVID-19
- Pwc India’s study finds India leads in AI adoption during Covid-19
- Covid-19: China testing blunders stemmed from secret deals with firms
- Will the Covid-19 vaccine shots be long-lasting? Here’s what US vaccine chief hints
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - COVID-19 vaccine moves ahead. Congress? Not so much
- UK is at 'tipping point' of Covid crisis, says senior health official
- From antidepressants to gout relief: Five medicines experts say could stop Covid-19 – so are you taking one?
- Inside the controversial rise of a top Twitter COVID-19 influencer
- 'The scientists have done it': Boris Johnson hails Covid vaccine
- Ex-French president, Giscard d’Estaing, dies of COVID-19 at 94
- Success of COVID-19 vaccine relies on ability to address mistrust, misinformation: IFRC chief
- WHO demands global solidarity as Covid-19 tally surpasses 30 million
- Virus Cases Continue Climbing in US During Holiday Season
- 'It raised my concerns with what the vaccine contains': British Black Panther star Letitia Wright doubles down on COVID anti-vax video by 'prophet' who asks if vaccine will implant 5G antennas inside people
- First batch of Pfizer Covid-19 jab is received by Croydon NHS vaccine hub as the UK rolls out the biggest mass immunisation programme in history
'World is failing' on COVID-19: WHO chief have 462 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.