Tokyo ● Thu, July 22 2021
The head of the World Health Organization told Olympic chiefs “the world is failing” to stop COVID-19 as the pandemic-delayed Tokyo 2020 sports program got underway on Wednesday.
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said an uneven vaccine rollout risked worsening the crisis but hoped the Olympics could be a “message of hope” to a pandemic-weary world.
“The pandemic is a test the world is failing. More than four million people have died and more continue to die. Already this year the number of deaths is more than double last year’s total,” Tedros said.
“The threat is not over anywhere until it’s over everywhere. Anyone who thinks the pandemic is over is living in a fool’s paradise,” he added.
Tedros spoke without wearing a mask at the International Olympic Committee session, held at a luxury hot…
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
- Uefa to oppose idea of annual club World Cup as Fifa chief Gianni Infantino plans £19bn revenue drive
- How long will Chiefs’ starters, Patrick Mahomes play Friday?
- Chiefs film review: How the defense blitzed and Patrick Mahomes continued to impress
- Cornerback Bashaud Breeland, still unsigned, visits Chiefs camp Wednesday
- Chiefs broke a trend by drafting Patrick Mahomes, now hope he bucks another
- Chiefs receiver Chris Conley praises message of Nike’s Colin Kaepernick ad
- Chiefs defense will lean on Steven Nelson
- 10 World Footballers Who Will Be Household Names by the End of the Season
- Tight end Demetrius Harris returns from suspension, gives Chiefs depth against Steelers
- Chiefs didn't fire defensive coordinator Bob Sutton, but they sure changed his personnel
- World Cup: Week 1 in review
- Chiefs’ Chris Jones: I want to lead the NFL in sacks
- Chiefs’ top pick Breeland Speaks ready to show his crazy side
- Mahomes, Chiefs’ starting offense finally put points on the board in win at Atlanta
- Before NFL, Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes had to win another starting job... in high school
- Chiefs fans at Arrowhead are salty about new tailgating rule: ‘We’re pissed.’
- Andy Reid had fun with the play-calling in Chiefs’ season-opening win at Chargers
- Chiefs have been the Pittsburgh Steelers’ punching bag. This time they plan to hit back
- Left no doubt: Chiefs stun Broncos with heroics from Patrick Mahomes, Kareem Hunt
- Chiefs’ Sammy Watkins learned to look past stats, ‘Super Bowl is the goal’
'World is failing' on COVID-19: WHO chief have 422 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.