ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Authorities in Greece closed the Acropolis and other ancient sites during afternoon hours starting Tuesday as a heat wave scorching the eastern Mediterranean worsened.
Temperatures reached 42 degrees Celsius (107.6 Fahrenheit) in parts of the Greek capital, as the extreme weather fueled deadly wildfires in Turkey and blazes in Greece, Italy and across the region. Greek authorities have described the heat wave as the most intense in more than 30 years.
The Acropolis, which is normally open in the summer from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., will have reduced hours through Friday, closing from midday to 5 p.m.
The Greek Fire Service maintained an alert for most of the country Tuesday, while public and some private services shifted operating hours to allow for afternoon closures.
Follow all AP stories on climate change issues at https://apnews.com/hub/Climate .
- Wildcats soak in heat as camp reaches midpoint
- Teryn’s Take: Midwest is heating up and so are the Cardinals
- Heat Check: Dwyane Wade dazzles to lead Miami’s dominant outing
- Heat take over late vs. Pacers, even up series
- Heat come up short against Pacers in Paul George’s return
- Pacers use George’s return to spur 112-89 rout over Heat
- Pacers rout Heat in George’s first game since breaking leg
- Pacers use George’s return to spur rout over Heat
- James helps Heat beat Pacers 87-83 in Game 2
- LeBron James sparks late run, Heat even series with Pacers at 1-1
- NBA Finals: Miami Heat vs. San Antonio Spurs series preview
- Heat’s post-LeBron product debuts in open scrimmage
- Goran Dragic, Dwyane Wade not enough for Heat against Spurs
- Spurs stay hot, pull away from Heat for 95-81 win
- Senseless turnovers doom Pacers in Game 2 loss to Heat
- Like in Finals, Kawhi Leonard excels in Spurs’ win over Heat
- Heat don’t quit, show fight in staying in hunt for playoff berth
- Heat, humidity force several Cowboys out of rookie camp practice
- Heat, FOX Sports Sun to celebrate Burnie’s Birthday during Heat-76ers
- Time again for Riley to get to work on Heat roster
Acropolis in Greece closes in the afternoon due to heat wave have 329 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at August 3, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.