Tokyo ● Thu, August 5 2021
The Tokyo Olympics has added skateboarding, surfing and sport climbing to attract a younger demographic, but even a medal rush hasn’t been enough to win over some Japanese youngsters.
Skateboarding resumed Wednesday after Yuto Horigome, 22, won the sport’s first ever gold for Japan and 13-year-old Momiji Nishiya became the nation’s youngest Olympic champion with victory in the women’s event.
And Japan once again struck gold, with Sakura Yosozumi taking the women’s park top spot next to teammate Kokona Hiraki, 12, with silver.
But for Emiya Ajisaka and his classmates, watching Olympic sport on TV is not a priority.
“No one is really talking about the Olympics around me,” the 13-year-old told AFP as he played football with friends at a park near some Tokyo 2020 venues.
“I’m more likely to be watchin…
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
- Indian Women's and Men's Hockey Teams Seal Berths at 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- Bajrang Punia, Vinesh Phogat big medal contenders for 2020 Tokyo Olympics: Geeta Phogat
- Rani Rampal pours her heart out talking about Indian women's hockey team's journey to Tokyo Olympics
- Tokyo Olympics: 20 storylines with one year out to the 2020 Games
- Justin Rose focused on making history at Turkish Airlines Open and hopes to do the same at Tokyo Olympics
- IOC president promises support for DPRK participation in 2020 Tokyo Olympics, 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics
- Japan athletics slam Tokyo Olympic marathon change
- Former Olympic hurdles champion Harper Nelson aims for Tokyo 2020
- Manu shoots gold in Asian Championship, Deepak bags Olympic quota
- Indian hockey teams gearing up for Olympic Qualifiers
- BMX hero Kye Whyte steers clear of South London gangs to focus on Tokyo glory
- Sprinter Reece Prescod plots to win Olympic gold and become Britain’s fastest man
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 Review: Don’t Trust Dr. Eggman
- Olympic medallist Narang helps Kenyans prep for qualifiers
- Youth Olympics: Manu Bhaker claims India's first ever shooting gold in 10m Air Pistol event
- Doping: In swipe at Russia, U.S. says countries can't be allowed to 'steal' Olympic medals
- No Place for Complacency: Indian Men's Hockey Coach Graham Reid's Message Ahead of Olympic Qualifiers
- Tokyo 2020 is my eighth Paralympic Games, but I'm still the same as the wide-eyed schoolgirl who competed 28 years ago
- Big Brother reboot 'will be delayed until after the Olympics so that Channel Seven's new signing Sonia Kruger can host the show'
- ISSF World Cup: Sixteen-year-old Saurabh Chaudhary wins Gold, secures Olympic quota
Tokyo Olympics struggles for youth appeal have 441 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at August 5, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.