Chel Diokno, chairman of the Free Legal Assistance Group (Flag), is again running for senator in the 2022 elections. (File photo from Otso Diretso)
SANTA ROSA CITY, Laguna, Philippines — Human rights lawyer Chel Diokno is thankful for the outpouring of support he has been receiving from the entertainment industry following his announcement that he will throw his hat again into the senatorial race in the 2022 national elections.
In an interview on Saturday with "Sa Totoo Lang" of One PH, Diokno said he was "energized" by the backing of celebrities, among them TV host and comedian Vice Ganda, who has recently expressed his support in his social media accounts.
"I am really thankful to Vice and to other celebrities who are supporting me. I wasn't expecting it. It's a big surprise for me," Diokno, son of the late former Sen. Jose "Pepe" Diokno, said in Filipino.
"For candidates like me with limited resources in terms of money and machinery, our hopes grow when there are celebrities who support us," he added.
‘I’M ENERGIZED BY THE SUPPORT’Human rights lawyer Chel Diokno said he is thankful for the outpour of support he is…
Diokno announced his senatorial bid on Wednesday, Sept. 15. Since then, aside from Vice Ganda, other celebrities have expressed their support — like Bianca Gonzales, Jason Abalos, and Janine Gutierrez.
Diokno, who is the chairman of the Free Legal Assistance Group, first ran for senator in 2019 under the opposition slate Otso Diretso, but he failed to secure a seat in the so-called Magic 12.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
- Kanye West confirms plan to run for US President, withdraws Trump support
- Will.i.am Rips Kanye West’s ‘Dangerous’ Presidential Bid: ‘What The F**k, Seriously?’
- Elon Musk is no longer supporting Kanye West's presidential run
- Kanye West drops presidential bid: report
- Kanye West tweets picture of his face on Mount Rushmore amid 2020 presidential bid
- Bid for Cirque du Soleil dismissed as 'pure fiction' by lenders
- Chance The Rapper criticized after supporting Kanye West’s presidential announcement
- Chance The Rapper backs Kanye West's presidential bid, faces Twitter backlash
- Netflix India: ‘There is no bidding war between the different OTT platforms here’
- Kanye West no longer supports Trump, says Biden not 'special'
- Maine speaker drowns out rivals in bid to take on Collins
- GOP establishment boosting Kansas congressman's Senate bid
- Kanye West sets out his 2020 election platform: Rapper reveals he no longer supports Trump, will run for the 'Birthday Party' using the 'Wakanda management model' – and claims vaccines are 'the mark of the beast'
- Oboh declares support for sister in Edo guber race
- Kanye West Adviser Says ‘He’s Out’ of White House Run
- Kanye West reportedly drops out of US 2020 election
- Kim Kardashian Shares Video of Kanye West Registering to Vote
- The Sad Surrogates Still Spinning for Trump
- Why grief over celebrities lost hits even harder amid the pandemic
- Watch: Kanye West Speaks Out Against Abortion, Gun Control During First Presidential Campaign Event
Chel Diokno ‘energized’ by entertainers’ show of support for his senatorial bid have 496 words, post on newsinfo.inquirer.net at September 19, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.