MANILA, Philippines — Manila has distributed 622 vials of anti-inflammatory drug tocilizumab to parts of Luzon, the Visayas, and Mindanao for use on patients with severe or critical COVID-19, according to a statement issued on Tuesday by the city's Public Information Office.
The vials were given to 12 cities in Metro Manila, 17 areas in Luzon, three in the Visayas, and three in Mindanao.
The Department of Health (DOH) is currently struggling to procure tocilizumab, which is currently in short supply.
Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire, the spokesperson of the DOH, said the health had started coordinating with various suppliers of the tocilizumab, such as Switzerland and Iran.
Manila Mayor Francisco "Isko Moreno" Domagoso himself earlier urged the national government to focus funds on the procurement of COVID-19 drugs, like tocilizumab and remdesivir, instead of face shields — especially amid the recent surge of COVID-19 cases caused by the more transmissible Delta variant.
As of Tuesday, Sept. 14, the Philippines had a total of 2,266,066 COVID-19 cases , which includes 177,670 active infections, 2,052,867 recoveries, and 35,529 deaths.
Meanwhile, Metro Manila and 11 other regions have been classified as high risk for COVID-19 . The other areas are the Cordillera Administrative Region, Calabarzon, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Davao Region, Ilocos Region, Northern Mindanao, Caraga, Western Visayas, Soccsksargen, and Zamboanga Peninsula.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
- Coronavirus pandemic | Maharashtra govt procures 60,000 vials of Remdesivir for COVID-19 patients
- Biocon’s biosimilar for treating Covid-19: Patients responded positively, says Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
- Three biological markers in COVID-19 patients' blood could help doctors predict their risk of death 10 DAYS in advance with 90 per cent accuracy
- Remdesivir, tocilizumab being considered for 'restricted use' on severely ill COVID-19 patients
- Hetero starts supply of 60,000 vials of generic Remdesvir for treatment of Covid-19 patients
- Mylan launches Remdesivir’s generic version ‘Desrem’ in India for Covid-19 patients
- Mylan launches generic version of Remdesivir in India for COVID-19 patients
- Remdesivir Reduces Mortality Risk in Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients, New Analysis Finds
- Biocon to launch drug for COVID-19 patients; priced at Rs 8,000 per vial
- British COVID-19 patient comes off antibiotic treatment
- Hetero launches drug for COVID-19 patients
- Coronavirus live updates: Bay Area hospitalizations jump to record 633 COVID-19 patients
- Coronavirus live updates: Bay Area hospitalizations jump to record 633 COVID-19 patients, death toll rises in 5 Bay Area counties
- Feature: Recovered COVID-19 patients volunteer to help at Israeli hospital
- Doctors treating COVID-19 patients in Ogun join strike
- Biocon’s psoriasis drug gets DCGI nod for use in COVID-19 patients
- Amid a massive shortage of Remdesivir, politicians step in to hand out lifesaving COVID-19 drug to desperate families
- COVID-19 May Raise Death Toll from HIV, TB and Malaria
- COVID-19 Ripple Effect May Raise HIV, TB and Malaria Death Tolls
- FDA begins crackdown on black-marketing of scarce Covid-19 drugs
Manila distributes 622 vials of tocilizumab for COVID-19 patients nationwide have 528 words, post on newsinfo.inquirer.net at September 15, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.