The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced Wednesday that masks will be required inside temples to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Church leaders said in a statement that masks will be required temporarily in an effort to keep temples open. The message was the latest in a series of statements from church leaders encouraging masking and vaccination efforts against COVID-19.
"As cases of COVID-19 increase in many areas, we want to do everything possible to allow temples to remain open," the church said in a statement. "Therefore, effective immediately, all temple patrons and workers are asked to wear face masks at all times while in the temple."
In Utah where the church is based, a summer surge of the virus among unvaccinated residents has continued to grow while vaccination rates have slightly increased.
Data from the Utah Health Department showed that in the last 28 days state residents who are unvaccinated are 5.9 times more likely to die from COVID-19 and 7.2 times more likely to be hospitalized than those who are vaccinated.
About 64% of Utah residents ages 12 and older were fully vaccinated as of Tuesday, state data shows. Utah reported 25 new deaths from COVID-19, bringing the total since the pandemic began to 2,829.
- Texas Tech surges in 2nd half, beats S. Dakota State 79-67
- Kaminsky’s huge strides leading Badgers’ late surge
- Desperation starting to seep into Wolves locker room amid key losses
- Walk softly: Giancarlo Stanton’s mighty path inspired by father
- Mitt Romney lasts 2 rounds against Holyfield in boxing match
- Mitt Romney lasts 2 rounds against Holyfield in charity bout
- ‘Sting like a butterfly’: Holyfield jabs Romney for charity
- Missouri pitcher’s injury makes head protection hot topic
- The Latest: Missouri student government president weighs in
- Jared Abbrederis is living legend in hometown of Wautoma
- Big Picture: Does Florida’s upset of Georgia save Will Muschamp?
- 64 fascinating facts about the 64 NCAA tournament teams
- Mailbag: Why a resurgent Oklahoma should scare Notre Dame
- ‘Doing nothing is always the wrong response’ to sexual assault allegations
- Judge to give verdict in Pistorius trial
- Five Points: USA faces robust test against Honduras
- Praying coach’s suspension opens split on religion in school
- Wisconsin endures Michigan State’s wrath in league-tourney slugfest
- Game of
- Manchester United, Tottenham set to test progress of rebuilding projects
Mormon church to require masks in temples amid COVID surge have 368 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at September 22, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.