Taipei/Beijing ● Tue, September 21 2021
Taiwan threatened to take China to the World Trade Organization on Sunday after Beijing said it would suspend sugar apple and wax apple imports from the island on pest concerns, in the latest spat between the two over fruit.
Relations between Taipei and Beijing, which claims democratically ruled Taiwan as its own territory, are at their lowest in decades, with China increasing political and military pressure to get the island to accept its sovereignty.
China’s customs administration said it had repeatedly detected pests called Planococcus minor in sugar apples, also known as sweetsops or custard apples, and wax apples from Taiwan. It asked its Guangdong branch and all directly affiliated offices to stop customs clearance of those products from Monday.
Taiwan’s Council of Agriculture Minister Chen Chi-chung said China had behaved unilatera…
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
- After India, China's relationship now deteriorates with this country; Xi Jinping's party continues its expansionist desires
- After India, China's relationship now deteriorates with Australia; Xi Jinping's party continues its expansionist desires
- Taiwan Picked a Favorite Superpower in 2020 and Quashed COVID-19
- Australia to File Complaint Against China at World Trade Organization
- How tiny Taiwan came to be the epicentre of the global battle for technological supremacy
- China ‘ramps up’ nuke stockpile with terrifying hypersonic & ballistic missiles in battle for nuclear power with US
- U.S. Blacklists SMIC, China’s Top Chip Maker, Plus over 60 Other Entities
- New Zealand foreign minister offers to help broker peace deal between Australia and China
- US, China Сould Develop New Concept of Relationship Between Great Nations, Graham Allison Says
- Global chip shortage threatens production of laptops, smartphones
- Could South China Sea Conflict Heat Up Before Joe Biden Presidency?
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh highlights China's 'unprovoked aggression', 'build-up' at LAC in Ladakh
- Biden Appointees Are Weak on China | Opinion
- China Flies Jets Over Taiwan During US Envoy’s Visit
- We Can Work it Out? US, China Announce Intention to Strengthen Military Ties
- Calls for a boycott over list of 41 'Chinese-owned' vineyards in Australia as vino lovers react to Beijing's crushing tariff on Aussie wine - but some say the move could do more harm than good
- A trade policy for the middle class
- 'Deals Are My Art Form': Recap of Four Years of Trump's Foreign Policy
- Vietnam sees strong demand for cold storage facilities
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 20
Taiwan threatens to take China to WTO in new spat over fruit have 427 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at September 21, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.