Sen. Manny Pacquiao accepts his nomination on Sunday, Sept. 19, 2021, as PDP-Laban standard-bearer in the 2022 presidential race. (Photo from his Facebook page)
MANILA, Philippines — "Your time is up."
Sen. Pacquiao issued that warning on Sunday to corrupt government officials in his speech accepting his nomination by his PDP-Laban faction as its standard-bearer in the 2022 presidential race.
"To those serving in our government who continue to take advantage of and steal from the national coffers, the time is near when you will be all together in prison. Your time is up," Pacquiao said, speaking partly in Filipino.
Pacquiao announced his bid for the presidency amid the infighting within the PDP-Laban that lead to two factions forming — one led by him and Sen. Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III and another led by Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi.
Pacquiao said he opted to remain silent despite the issues being thrown at him by the Cusi camp.
"Right here inside my own party, the PDP-Laban — which I accepted, nurtured, and defended — some insist on destroying me for the sake of self-interest and politics," Pacquiao said
"In spite of this, I am here now to show you that, more than the party, what's important are principles and conviction. More than one's self, the country must be the priority," he added.
In his speech, Pacquiao also mentioned his past life of poverty.
"Do you know the feeling of a Filipino who fought as a boxer, who let himself be beaten up by a bigger and stronger opponent, just so he could buy food?" Pacquiao said.
"The Manny Pacquiao who is facing you now has been forged by poverty," he added.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
- Philippines: Boxer/Senator Manny Pacquiao to Lead Rodrigo Duterte’s Political Party
- Boxing icon, Pacquiao takes over as head of Philippine ruling party
- Allergy risk on Pfizer jab: Day before FDA meet to give green light to vaccine UK regulators warn people with 'significant' food and medicine allergies NOT to take it after two health workers suffer 'anaphylactic reaction'
- We owe Trump an open mind and a chance to lead: Hillary Clinton
- Biden takes the LEAD in Georgia and piles up the votes after incredible rant from Trump claiming conspiracy against him by big tech, big money, the media, pollsters and Democrats that TV networks refused to screen
- Iran Can’t Get Its Story Straight On Assassination of Top Nuclear Scientist
- Why Did AG Barr Keep Silent on Hunter Biden Story & How May It Affect Joe Should He Win Presidency?
- Juan Williams: Clyburn is my choice as politician of the year
- APC: Crisis deepens as NEC expels Eta, extends Buni-led caretaker c’ttee’s tenure
- Borno Massacre: Sack service chiefs now — SENATE
- Borno Massacre: Senate, Shekau differ on casualties
- "You have one job, Joe"
- A Few Things to Keep in Mind as Trump Attacks Hunter Biden
- Donald Trump claims revelation Hunter Biden is under federal investigation will convince Supreme Court justices to overturn the election because 'Biden administration will be scandal plagued mess for years to come'
- Sen. Jack Reed on push for answers on reported Russian bounties for American troops
- America Has Central Planners. We Just Call Them ‘Venture Capitalists.’
- In 2020, Disinformation Broke The US
- From 'smear campaign' to 'Russian disinformation,' liberal media teamed up to dismiss Hunter Biden story
- Hunter Biden news raises stakes for A.G. pick
- 'They messed with the wrong generation': How young people shook up politics in Peru
‘Your time is up,’ PDP-Laban presidential bet Pacquiao warns corrupt officials have 585 words, post on newsinfo.inquirer.net at September 20, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.