A FIRE broke out in Southern Santa Barbara County on Monday, October 11, 2021 around 2pm.
The Alisal Fire has burned thousands of acres along the Gaviota Coast and in the Santa Ynez Mountains.
Where is the fire in Southern Santa Barbara County?
The Alisal Fire reportedly started burning Monday, October 11, 2021 in Los Padres National Forest in the mountains between the Santa Ynez Valley and the Gaviota Coast.
Smoke and flames were visible atop the hillside.
Los Padres officials revealed the fire was first reported near Alisal Lake and within three hours, it crossed Highway 101 to Tajiguas Beach.
What caused the fire in Southern Santa Barbara County?
The fire was reportedly caused by "wind-whipped vegetation," Noozhawk reported.
Winds from the northwest were measured blowing 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60 mph.
"Winds up there obviously are the biggest concern both because they could ground the tankers and push that fire,” said Andrew Madsen, spokesman for the Los Padres National Forest.
According to Captain Nikki Stevens of the Santa Barbara County Fire Department, the greatest concern is "Refugio Canyon which has a lot of vegetation in the upper reaches that hasn’t burned in decades, along with a number of structures."
Which areas have evacuation warnings?
Evacuations are in order for Arroyo Hondo Canyon, Refugio Canyon, Refugio State Beach, El Capitán State Beach, and El Capitan Canyon campground as an estimated 3,900 acres have been burned.
Most read in US News
Highway 101 has been closed from Highway 1 at Las Cruces and Winchester Canyon/Cathedral Oaks Road in Goleta.
A temporary evacuation center located at Dos Pueblos High School at 7266 Alameda Avenue is available for shelter and other resources.
For animal evacuations, the Santa Barbara County Animal Services advises to call 805-681-4332 for assistance and livestock can be taken to the Earl Warren Showgrounds.
- Orange County boys golf athlete of the year: Tyler Guo of Crean Lutheran
- Southern California Heat Wave Breaks Records
- Orange County softball pitcher of the year: Mackensie Kohl of Mater Dei
- Orange County softball player of the year: Kelli Godin of Mater Dei
- Orange County players selected in the 2018 MLB Draft
- Orange County girls track and field athlete of the year: Nikki Merritt of Santa Margarita
- Riverside County Girls Athlete of the Week: Madi Allen, Great Oak
- The College Football Empires Map, where Florida is now the land leader
- Orange County scores and player stats for Friday (9-7-18)
- Three Inland teams vying for CIF Southern Section championships
- Exploring the Southern Border in a 2017 Ram Power Wagon: Arizona to the Gulf of Mexico
- Orange County Football Preview 2018: Top high school games to watch each week
- 2007 College Football Empires Map: The wildest season ever, mapped
- Game of the Week: Orange vs. Santa Ana resume rivalry in new league
- Former U.S. soccer star Eric Wynalda watched home burn down on TV in Southern California wildfire
- Presenting the College Football Empires Map, now at SB Nation
- College Football Empires Map: UGA and Sparty join the leaders
- Fryer on football: Predicting the champion for every league in Orange County
- CIF Southern Section football playoff overview, EPJ’s predictions
- The 2018 College Football Empires Map, updated after Week 2
Alisal fire map: Where is the fire in Southern Santa Barbara County? have 648 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at October 13, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.