Jakarta ● Thu, October 14 2021
The Jakarta administration is considering a plan to restrict groundwater use to prevent the capital city from sinking further, but experts say the administration needs to provide equitable water access to the population before enacting such a policy.
The plan has highlighted a major challenge that policymakers face in a city where households and business have been extracting groundwater independently of the municipal water system for years, causing land to subside as the city struggles to expand its tap water services.
Jakarta Water Resources Agency head Yusmada Faisal said the provincial administration was preparing a regulation to restrict groundwater extraction in parts of the city that were already covered by tap water services.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
- Medics are using narrower NEEDLES to squeeze extra doses of coronavirus vaccines out of vials of five, eight or 10 jabs, experts say
- Coronavirus therapeutics 'more complicated' than vaccine, expert says
- President Joe Biden’s Immigration Reforms Could Prompt A Surge Of Migrants At The Southern Border, Expert Says
- Prince William & Prince Harry ‘reconnected’ over Christmas and now have ‘regular video calls’, royal expert says
- Millions face tougher restrictions 'by the WEEKEND': PM could close more offices, ban joint exercise and close nurseries if Covid figures don't come down - as Hancock warns it is 'IMPOSSIBLE to say when restrictions will end'
- New curbs may be DAYS away: Estate agents could be closed, markets shut and meeting for exercise banned to stop surge in Covid-19 cases unless people start obeying the guidelines, Britons are warned
- Joe Biden's 'shot and awe' plan will open 100 federal vaccination centers in stadiums and convention centers to help deliver 100 million shots in 100 days and order manufacturers to make more doses to tackle shortages
- “It totally changed the way I eat": How this healthy WEIGHT LOSS plan can help you achieve our summer body goals - PLUS easy recipes to try at home!
- Academy boss says schools won't reopen until after EASTER as families face home schooling for another six weeks in Covid lockdown
- Light at the end of the tunnel? Dr. Fauci says one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be approved in TWO WEEKS - as COVID hospitalizations fall 10% in 24 states and new cases decline in 44 states
- Ministers face ridicule after it emerges Covid 'Rule of Six' outlaws 'mingling' - as Downing Street fuels confusion by saying people should NOT be fined for first breaches
- Plan to force travellers to quarantine at hotel airports on arrival in UK could get the go-ahead TODAY
- Pfizer delays deliveries of Covid vaccine doses to UK and Europe while it expands Belgian factory as Professor Chris Whitty says 'limited' supply is holding back UK's roll-out
- 'There was no vaccine strategy.' Biden officials say they are starting distributing shots from 'square one' and call Trump's Operation Warp Speed 'complete incompetence' as Nancy Pelosi bemoans the ex-president's 'terrible, ineffective approach'
- US COVID hospitalizations drop to their LOWEST point since January 2 and new cases fall in ten states - but Biden's COVID experts predict death toll will hit 500,000 by next month as they race to vaccinate 100 million in 100 days
- Transform your health with our fast 800 way to beat disease: DR MICHAEL MOSLEY and his wife DR CLARE BAILEY launch an indispensable diet series to tackle everything from dementia to type 2 diabetes
- Click and collect could be banned everywhere apart from supermarkets amid fears customers are passing the virus in queues
- Is Rs 100 notes banned in india? This is what RBI has to say
- Brit WHO expert in Covid cover-up probe wanted ‘party in bat cave’ with China ‘batwoman’ scientist linked to ‘lab leak’
- What do we know about the fast-spreading Covid variant in UK?
Jakarta plans to ban some groundwater extraction. Not so fast, experts say have 651 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at October 14, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.