People wear protective masks as they walk through the city center, amid the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Manchester, Britain, June 21, 2021. (File photo from REUTERS)
LONDON — Two linked cases of the new Omicron coronavirus variant have been detected in Britain connected to travel to southern Africa, health minister Sajid Javid said on Saturday.
Omicron, dubbed a "variant of concern" by the World Health Organization on Friday, is potentially more contagious than previous variants of the disease, although experts do not know yet if it will cause more or less severe COVID-19 compared to other coronavirus strains.
"Late last night I was contacted by the UK Health Security Agency. I was informed that they have detected two cases of this new variant, Omicron, in the United Kingdom," Javid said in a broadcast clip.
Essex County Council later confirmed on Twitter that there was a single case identified in Brentwood in the southeastern region of England. The council said it was linked to a single case from Nottingham in central England involving travel to South Africa.
"We are working with regional and local public health officers who are assessing the situation. All close contacts of these individuals will be followed up and requested to isolate and get tested," the council said.
The health ministry said two individuals and all members of their households were being re-tested and told to self-isolate while further testing and contact tracing were done.
England will also add Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia, and Angola to its travel "red list" from 0400 GMT on Sunday, meaning British and Irish residents who arrive in the country must quarantine in a government-approved hotel for 10 days. Non-residents will be refused entry.
That list already contained Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson and the Chief Scientific Adviser Patrick Vallance and Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty will hold a news conference later on Saturday "to set out further measures," Javid said.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
- New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern extends the lockdown of 1.7m people in Auckland over just seven new cases of coronavirus in the city - as domestic airline Jetstar cancels all flights in the country
- Brit teacher evacuated from Wuhan goes BACK to China saying he feels safer from coronavirus than in Britain
- First confirmed case of coronavirus reinfection emerges. What does it tell us?
- First case of coronavirus reinfection confirmed, researchers say
- First reported case of coronavirus reinfection documented in Hong Kong
- UK records fewer than 1,000 Covid-19 cases for the first time in a week as 713 more Britons test positive for the illness as officials announce just three more deaths - taking the average daily number of fatalities down to just 10
- Britain's Covid-19 death toll tops 45,000 as officials record just 85 more fatalities and Scotland goes a WEEK without any new victims — but infections are STILL higher than they were last week
- One new coronavirus case detected in Hanoi, total increases to 984
- COVID-19 August 13 Highlights: Mumbai reports 1,200 fresh cases; over 400 die in Maharashtra in last 24 hours
- Britain could go into a SECOND national lockdown if it sees a rise in cases like Spain, senior official warns amid fears Britain's R rate could now be as high as 1.1 and households in Oldham and Blackburn are banned from meeting together
- Manchester mayor Andy Burnham says Covid restrictions are driving down new infections: Expert warns Britain risks a second national lockdown if it sees a rise in cases like Spain
- The new Black Monday: Coronavirus chaos sees FTSE 100 close 7.7% down at 5966 points - its lowest in four years after £125 billion is wiped off shares in biggest daily drop since 2008 crash
- 'I have fully recovered, my thoughts are with others': Married father-of-two Coronavirus 'super-spreader' reveals his identity after accidentally infecting 11 people following gas sales conference in Singapore
- Fifty-seven per cent spike in coronavirus cases in Scotland drives the UK total to its highest for eight weeks - with 1,288 new cases - as top SAGE scientist warns that virus will be around 'FOREVER'
- Coronavirus UPDATES: Sage expert warns virus 'will be in UK forever'
- Interactive map reveals how many coronavirus cases in YOUR local area
- More proof Britain's Covid-19 outbreak is shrinking? Nine of England's ten worst-hit areas have seen a decrease in cases over the past week
- Britain's daily Covid-19 cases shrink AGAIN: Health chiefs record 812 more infections — meaning rolling average has dropped for the fourth day in a row as officials announce 16 deaths
- Boris Johnson shuts down Britain as he warns those with symptoms to stay home for 14 days and urges EVERYONE else to avoid 'non-essential' travel and socialising for three months - after being warned deaths 'could hit 260,000' without action
- Majorca and Ibiza hit with record coronavirus cases after 908 infections in 24 hours as mayor warns of ‘second wave
Two cases of Omicron coronavirus variant detected in Britain have 789 words, post on newsinfo.inquirer.net at November 28, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.