PARIS (AP) — French authorities announced Wednesday that a man arrested at Paris-Charles De Gaulle Airport for allegedly being linked to the 2018 killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was misidentified.
The Paris General Prosecutor’s office issued a short statement Wednesday after over 24 hours of checks, saying that the man arrested Tuesday was not the Khalid Aedh al-Otaibi, who is wanted under a 2019 Turkish arrest warrant.
"The (arrest) warrant does not apply to him," the statement said, without elaborating.
French media reported that the mix-up was related to the fact that the detained man had an identical name to al-Otaibi.
A judicial official told The Associated Press that the suspect can be held until Thursday morning at the latest, but he will likely be released before.
The Saudi Embassy in Paris always maintained that it was a case of mistaken identity, and the arrested man "had nothing to do with the case in question."
- Police arrest man suspected of vandalizing Haitian church in Port St. Lucie
- Police arrest man suspected of burglarizing Doniphan home twice
- Police investigating 1993 Dungannon murder arrest man in Belfast
- Police arrest man and woman in connection with Ardglass murder probe
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder after fatal stabbing of Cardiff 20-year-old Fatah Warsame
- 95-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder after carer dies
- Macon fatal shooting suspect's wife arrested and charged with murder
- Woman burned in North Highlands mobile home; man accused of murder, arson
- Springfield man charged with murder following stabbing death at Ludlow bakery
- Man arrested on suspicion of murdering 22-month-old baby in Sheffield
- Man, 65, arrested on suspicion of murder of 85-year-old widow found dead in home
- Woman, 31, and girl, 11, found dead as man is arrested on suspicion of murder
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder after car hits crowd outside nightclub
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman, 21, found dead in campsite tent
- Pictured: Two arrested in connection with murder of Liga Skromane in India
- LCPD arrests man in group accused of beating victim with hammer
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman, 50, found in river
- Man accused of murdering children in firebombing 'didn't mean to hurt anyone'
- Man suspected of recent armed robberies arrested in Lakeview
- Man guilty of murder after fatal collision with moped
France: Arrested man not the suspect in Khashoggi's murder have 361 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at December 8, 2021. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.