The upcoming release of fourth quarter gross domestic product (GDP) and additional data potentially confirming a downtrend in COVID-19 infections will keep investors busy this week.
The benchmark Philippine Stock Exchange index (PSEi) ended relatively flat last week at 7,293.52, reflecting lingering market uncertainties that were amplified by worries over the US Federal Reserve's next steps in rolling back market-supporting stimulus measures.
BDO Unibank Inc. chief strategist Jonathan Ravelas said the PSEi movements would still be confined within the 7,000-7,350 range.
A surprise GDP report could lift the market while investors closely monitor announcements on COVID-19 numbers.
Meanwhile, plans by the US Federal Reserve to raise interest rates amid surging inflation dragged US markets lower the past week.
"The sentiment might sweep over here," Luis Gerardo Limlingan, managing director at Regina Capital Development, said over the weekend.
Other investors would also be positioning ahead of the release of fourth quarter corporate earnings.
"It will be interesting to see whether power stocks will start to climb given that commodity prices continued to rise," Limlingan said.
He added consumer stocks would also be in focus after "inflation tapered at the end [of 2021] and spending got back closer to prepandemic levels." INQ
- After Market: UB, YES Bank, IFCI surge; 121 stocks hit 52-week lows
- After Market: Wabag, JSPL gain; 71 stocks at 52-week highs; smallcaps on a high
- For stock market stability, Pakistan needs reforms
- Stock market update: 17 stocks hit 52-week lows on NSE
- Stock market update: 29 stocks hit 52-week highs on NSE
- China stocks up 5th week on stimulus, trade optimism
- Vietnam leads gains as most SE Asia stock markets rise on U.S-China trade deal hopes
- Stock market update: 37 stocks hit 52-week lows on NSE
- Stock market expected to extend rallies
- Global stock markets post best year since financial crisis
- Stock market update: 20 stocks hit 52-week highs on NSE
- These were the 5 biggest days for the stock market this year
- US stock markets hit record highs on trade deal hopes
- European stock markets usher in New Year with big gains
- Saudi Arabia aims to buoy oil price before Aramco stock market debut
- Boohoo.com fashion website soars on stock market – ending day at £840m
- Why Does the Stock Market Keep Going Up?
- Stock markets usher in New Year with big gains
- The world on the brink of war? Iran's allies China and Russia join Europe in urging 'restraint' as oil prices surge and stock markets plunge after American killing of top general Qassem Soleimani
- Stock market indices record marginal growth
2 crucial plots to keep stock market on its toes this week have 406 words, post on business.inquirer.net at January 24, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.