And the star has certainly stuck to his word and kept busy in the six years since he left soapland, as he went on to win Strictly Come Dancing with Oti Mabuse after stepping in for injured Made in Chelsea star Jamie Laing.
From starting a family to becoming a farmer, Kelvin, 37, has packed plenty in as he prepares for his own TV show about his new farming life.
We have a look at the actor’s life after Emmerdale.
Marriage to childhood sweetheart
Kelvin tied the knot with his childhood sweetheart Elizabeth Marsland in 2015, not long before he left the soap.
The pair first met as children then reconnected in their early 20s and started dating.
They tied the knot in November 2015 and have gone on to have daughter Marnie and son Milo.
In December the couple announced that they were expecting their third baby, saying in a statement to PA: “There’s no question that for the Fletcher family the best thing to come out of 2021 is the news that we are expecting again.”
Strictly Come Dancing success
Kelvin joined Strictly at the last minute in 2019, taking over from Jamie Laing after the Made In Chelsea star had to pull out due to injury.
But being a stand in certainly didn’t stand in his way and the star took to dancing quickly despite the short notice.
He and pro partner Oti Mabuse soon set the dancefloor on fire and went on to win the coveted Glitterball trophy.
“This show represents everything that is amazing in this country, it’s been an absolute privilege,” Kelvin said as he was crowned the champion.
The star is also into motor racing and is a well known face on the circuit.
He came to the sport late in life, at the age of 28, after it captured his interest when he went to a motoring show with his dad.
After obtaining his competition licence Kelvin won the Silverstone Classic Celebrity Challenge and he has since competed in the British Touring Cars league and the British GT Championship.
In 2017, he told the Mirror that his racing career had really “snowballed” and that it was “a dream come true” for him as he’d always been keen on cars.
However, he admitted being a celeb could be a bit of a disadvantage on the track.
“I’m going against people who have raced since they were seven years old,” he said.
“I’ve got a target on my head. I’m that guy off the TV so the eyes are on me a little bit more. I sometimes feel like I’ve got a harder job than most, but I’m progressing.”
Life on the farm
Late last year Kelvin revealed that he had bought his own farm and landed a show about it.
The TV star told fans he had “jumped in at the deep end” and splashed out on a farm in the Peak District, and that he and his family were going to feature in a BBC documentary following their farming adventures.
Sharing a picture on Instagram of him and his wife and their children standing next to a tractor, the actor wrote: “So happy to finally announce this!
“If you’ve been sat there wondering what these random farming and outdoor pictures are all about well now you know!
“We have literally jumped in at the deep end and bought a farm! A reluctant wife, 2 crazy kids and a husband with knowledge of farming you could write on the back of a stamp!
“What could possibly go wrong?!”
For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here .
- Strictly Come Dancing 2020: Line-up rumours from Emily Atack to Stacey Solomon
- Thank you for saving my life: Boris Johnson stops in Downing Street to deliver tribute to the 'beating heart of this country' NHS before heading with pregnant fiancée Carrie to Chequers by car
- Strictly Come Dancing bosses 'are in advanced talks with Jonathan Ross' wife Jane Goldman for this year's line-up'
- 'Boyfriends expect me to be sexy like Priya': Emmerdale's Fiona Wade on playing a flirty cheat and her love life off screen
- Emmerdale spoilers for next week - marriage bombshell, race row and a worrying confession
- Behind-the-scenes of soap filming - panic, strict rules and special cast treatment
- My Lancaster saved my life: 19-year-old rear gunner Ron Needle had the loneliest and deadliest job of the war - and one night 20,000ft over Munich, disaster struck, sparking a breathtaking survival story
- Boris Johnson's girlfriend Carrie Symonds is PREGNANT: Prime Minister and his First Lady are engaged as she announces 'We've got a baby hatching early summer'
- Two journalists-turned-authors writing about love, hate and bigotry in today’s India
- How cash-strapped single mum-of-three turned £10 into £1MILLION business
- Inside Eminem's daughter Hailie Mather's glam life as he makes poignant confession
- Life after TOWIE - where Kirk Norcross, Harry Derbidge and Lauren Goodger are now
- Will Strictly Come Dancing happen in 2020?
- Keith Fletcher: 'We only had four or five Test players - the rest weren't good enough'
- Harry Redknapp sparks TV bidding war after success of Harry’s Heroes – but turns down Strictly because of his knees
- Mary-Kate Olsen’s turbulent life in the spotlight
- Forget the Radfords – meet the world’s biggest families – from strict mum-of-19 to US reality stars with ‘J’ named kids
- Pregnant Lauren Pope cradles her baby bump in low-cut knitted dress as she poses in sunlit room after saying she's finding the heatwave tough
- Uncertain future rattles Italy’s famed restaurants
- Mark Jennings: How my life was saved after depression
Kelvin Fletcher's life after Emmerdale - baby news, Strictly fame and career U-turn have 957 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at January 17, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.