LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — Texas Tech kicker Jonathan Garibay is bypassing his final season of eligibility, opting to declare for the NFL draft after making the longest game-winning kick in FBS history and being the most accurate field goal kicker in school history.
Garibay kicked a 62-yard field goal on the final play of Tech’s 41-38 win over Iowa State on Nov. 13. That was the longest kick for the winning points ever in an Football Bowl Subdivision game with less than a minute remaining. That was the longest field goal in Texas Tech history, and longest for a Big 12 kicker since 1999.
That winner was among his school record 13 consecutive made field goals to start this past season. He finished 15-of-16, a 93.8% success rate that led the Big 12. His only miss was when he pushed a 53-yard attempt wide left on the final play of a 27-24 loss at Baylor two weeks after his 62-yarder.
Garibay, who redshirted in 2019 season after transferring from Riverside City College in his home state of California, finished 23 of 27 (85.2%) on field goals over two seasons and was 55 of 57 on extra points.
In his first game as the starting kicker in 2020, he made all four of his field goals, including a winning 25-yarder at the end of regulation against Baylor.
- Coming of age: Rhule, No. 22 Baylor going against Texas Tech
- No. 22 Baylor plays Texas Tech with 1st ranking under Rhule
- Texas A&M searching for answers as Alabama comes to town
- Improved Oklahoma defense faces biggest test in Texas
- Week 6 NFL game picks, schedule guide, fantasy football tips and more
- NFL contenders gone wrong: Barnwell ranks the six top playoff fallers
- This London NFL star has got his own museum exhibition
- Week 6 NFL Power Rankings: 1-32 poll, plus every team's top fantasy surprise
- Wally Triplett, ex-Lions RB and NFL pioneer, dies at 92
- NFL Fun Power Rankings, week 11: Where do Rams and Chiefs stand after Monday night's record-breaking showdown?
- 'Two decade reign of decay': NFL club slammed after firing yet another coach
- NFL Week 5 roundup: Deshaun Watson throws 5 TDs as Texans shred Falcons
- NRL: Cronulla Sharks release Valentine Holmes to pursue NFL dream
- The voting records of 35 million people have appeared on the dark web
- Temple set for 2nd Top 25 upset when it plays No. 23 Memphis
- Chiefs-Raiders, Seahawks-49ers: When top NFL rivalries sour
- Lions, Packers set for division clash on Monday night
- Vietnam could give tech companies one year to obey cyberlaw
- Russian High Tech Project Struggles after U.S. sanctions
- The petty, wonderful and delightfully weird rise of Horns Down
Record-setting Texas Tech K Garibay into NFL draft have 422 words, post on www.sfgate.com at January 16, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.