Two young, talented teams in the Western Conference go head-to-head in the first round of the 2022 NBA playoffs as the No. 2 Memphis Grizzlies take on the No. 7 Minnesota Timberwolves . The Grizzlies (56-26) are fresh off one of the best regular seasons in franchise history, while the Wolves (46-36) earned their spot in the series by besting the Los Angeles Clippers in the play-in tournament.
With Karl-Anthony Towns , Anthony Edwards and D’Angelo Russell on Minnesota and Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr . on Memphis, the series boasts no shortage of star power, and as such it should prove to be extremely entertaining, For what it’s worth, the teams split their four regular-season matchups, with both teams winning twice. Here’s what you need to know about the series along with three key storylines.
CBS Sports HQ Newsletter
Your Ultimate Guide to Every Day in Sports
We bring sports news that matters to your inbox, to help you stay informed and get a winning edge.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox.
There was an error processing your subscription.
(2) Memphis Grizzlies vs. (7) Minnesota Timberwolves
All times Eastern
- Game 1: Timberwolves 130, Grizzlies 117
- Game 2 (at MEM): Tuesday, April 19 | 9:30 p.m. | TV: NBATV
- Game 3 (at MIN): Thursday, April 21 | 7:30 p.m. | TV: TNT
- Game 4 (at MIN): Saturday, April 23 | 10 p.m. | TV: ESPN
- Game 5* (at MEM): Tuesday, April 26 | TBD | TV: TBD
- Game 6* (at MIN): Friday, April 29 | TBD | TV: TBD
- Game 7* (at MEM): Sunday, May 1 | TBD | TV: TBD
1. Anthony Edwards’ playoff debut
The Timberwolves’ second-year sensation Anthony Edwards makes his postseason debut in the series against Minnesota. Edwards had a stellar second season for Minnesota, as he posted averages of 21.3 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.8 assists per performance. Along the way, Edwards looked a whole lot like a future All-Star. Players are truly tested in the postseason, though, as that’s where reputations — and legacies — are made. It will be extremely interesting to see how Edwards fares in his first taste of postseason play.
2. How will Minnesota slow Ja Morant?
The Grizzlies are a deep team, but when it comes to Memphis, Ja Morant is clearly the head of proverbial snake. When he’s out on the floor, Morant is the catalyst for Memphis’ offense and the team largely goes as he goes. Thus, Minnesota’s approach to defending him will be critical. If the Wolves can put consistent pressure on Morant, and even force to ball out of his hands at times and make other players to beat them, they should give themselves a good opportunity to win. However, if Morant is able to consistently go off against Minnesota’s defense, it could be a long series for the Timberwolves.
3. A battle of high-powered offenses
Both the Grizzlies and Timberwolves have potent offensive attacks, and that could result in an extremely high-scoring series. During the regular season, Memphis had the NBA ‘s fourth-highest rated offense, while the Wolves had the seventh. The two teams also averaged the most points per game league-wide during the regular season, with the Wolves scoring an average of 115.9 points per performance, and the Grizzlies right behind them with 115.6. In other words, both teams can put up points in bunches. This means that whichever team is able to play some solid defense and limit the other team’s production will give themselves a great chance of winning the series.
- Hull FC vs Wakefield Trinity preview
- NBA: Steven Adams puts up huge rebounding total in win over Memphis Grizzlies
- Irving scores 30 as Celtics playoff push gains traction
- Fair Isle observatory fire: Suport for community is crucial – Martyn McLaughlin
- Fair Isle observatory fire: Support for community is crucial – Martyn McLaughlin
- March Madness: Everything you need to know about NCAA tournament games
- Warriors clinch top seed in West, Rockets set record for threes
- NBA: Dwyane Wade stars in home finale as Miami Heat beat Philadelphia Sixers
- Butler, Embiid star as Sixers rattle Celtics
- Can Ireland reignite Rugby World Cup hopes?
- Leonard leads Raptors to win over LeBron’s Lakers
- Advantage Ajax as they take vital away goal to Amsterdam against disappointing Spurs
- Sports Reporting- Always Vibrant, Room For Improvement
- Ajax stun Juventus to reach Champions League semi-final with brilliant comeback win in Turin
- West Indies hit back to level ODI series as Sheldon Cottrell claims five-wicket haul in enthralling contest
- POLITICO Brussels Playbook, presented by BP: Notre Dame burns — More magic beans for Trump — Slovenia gets out the brickbat
- Toby Alderweireld own goal sends Liverpool fans into raptures as they beat Spurs at the last
- Lewis Hamilton takes Chinese GP victory as Ferrari tell Charles Leclerc to let Sebastian Vettel past
Grizzlies vs. Timberwolves playoff preview: Minnesota's crucial task at slowing Ja Morant among top storylines have 850 words, post on www.cbssports.com at April 17, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.