Bryan Rust got the puck to the right of Rangers goaltender Igor Shesterkin and passed it to Guentzel streaking down the middle. Guentzel would get the puck off a ricochet by a Rangers defender, kick the puck to himself and tap it in just out of the reach of Shesterkin.
Pittsburgh Penguins’ Jake Guentzel (59) celebrates with teammates Marcus Pettersson (28) and Evgeni Malkin (71) after scoring a goal during the second period of Game 5 of an NHL hockey Stanley Cup first-round playoff series against the New York Rangers Wednesday, May 11, 2022, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
The NHL referees needed to review the score to make sure it wasn't high sticking on Guentzel in front of Shesterkin, but the goal was confirmed. It was Guentzel's eighth goal of the series on assists from Rust and Sidney Crosby.
The Rangers would tie the game at the 11:23 mark thanks to a score from K'Andre Miller. But the evened game wouldn't last long.
Pittsburgh Penguins’ Jake Guentzel (59) celebrates with teammates Evgeni Malkin (71), Marcus Pettersson (28) and John Marino (6) after scoring a goal during the second period of Game 5 of an NHL hockey Stanley Cup first-round playoff series against the New York Rangers Wednesday, May 11, 2022, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
Evan Rodrigues scored just as the team was getting back to full strength on a Rangers power play.
Pittsburgh took a 3-2 lead heading into the second intermission.
The Penguins were last in a Game 7 in 2017 – the last time they won the Stanley Cup. In the Eastern Conference finals that year, Pittsburgh topped the Ottawa Senators with a 3-2 overtime victory in Game 7.
Jake Guentzel #59 of the Pittsburgh Penguins knocks the puck past goaltender Igor Shesterkin #31 of the New York Rangers during the second period in Game Seven of the First Round of the 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs at Madison Square Garden on May 15, 2022 in New York City. (Jared Silber/NHLI via Getty Images)
The winner plays the Carolina Hurricanes in the conference semis.
Ryan Gaydos is the sports editor for Fox News and Fox Business. Story tips can be sent to [email protected]
- Moore’s 2nd Goal Helps Kings Beat Penguins 4-3; Crosby Scores 498th Goal
- Penguins Rally Past Flyers, Win 5-4 In OT As Sidney Crosby Scores 500th Career Goal
- Penguins Stay Red Hot, Pull Away From Devils In Third Period
- Crosby scores 500th, Penguins rally past Flyers 5-4 in OT
- Of Course, Penguins Star Sidney Crosby Joins NHL’s 500-Goal Club In Win Over Flyers
- Penguins Beat Devils 4-2, Take Sole Possession Of First Place In Metropolitan Division
- Jeff Skinner scores 4 goals as Sabres top skidding Canadiens
- Penguins visit the Bruins after Rust’s 2-goal game
- NHL roundup: Penguins’ Sidney Crosby scores 500th goal
- New Jersey hosts Pittsburgh after Hischier’s 2-goal game
- Penguins star Sidney Crosby joins NHL's 500-goal club
- Jacob Peterson's shootout goal leads Stars past Blackhawks
- Casey DeSmith Makes 26 Saves In 2-0 Shutout Win Over Senators
- Pittsburgh plays Philadelphia on 4-game home skid
- Pittsburgh takes on New York, seeks to break 3-game skid
- Pittsburgh takes on New Jersey in division battle
- NHL Power Rankings: Calgary Flames catch fire, emerge as Stanley Cup contender
- Barzal, Dobson Lead Islanders To Victory Against Bruins
- NHL Rink Wrap: Marner rages on; Matthews gets to 30 before injury scare
- Barzal, Dobson Lead Islanders To 4-1 Victory Against Bruins
Penguins' Jake Guentzel kicks puck to himself for incredible goal have 636 words, post on www.foxnews.com at May 15, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.