Ukraine: 'Can West stand up to China' asks Ortagus
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Volodymyr Omelyan, Ukraine’s former Minister of Infrastructure who has been fighting on the front line since the start of the war, has warned that China is financing Russia as part of its plan to become the ruler of the world.
China’s demand for Russian energy products has increased in recent months – reaching a record-high of crude oil in May, increasing purchases to $7.47billion (£6billion), which is about $1billion (£800million) more than in April and double the amount a year ago.
The increase in imports means Russia has now overtaken Saudi Arabia as China’s largest source of crude oil, according to Chinese customs data released on Friday.
Mr Omelyan told Express.co.uk : “China is simply testing Western civilisation with Russia as their instrument.
“The real intention of Russia is obvious, together with China, Moscow would like to rule the world.”
The two nations stepped up bilateral trade in the first quarter of the year (Image: Getty)
In the first 100 days of the Ukraine war, China also became the world’s leading buyer of Russian fossil fuels after many Western countries imposed economic sanctions.
It comes after Beijing pledged to continue regular economic ties with the pariah state despite the geopolitical fallout from other countries over Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.
The former Minister said: “I believe the West should take this very seriously and stop thinking of Russia as a normal state and do everything to make sure the threat is cleared.
“Today it is Russia, then it will be China and they will come for Poland and they will come for France, and they will come for Britain.”
Volodymyr Omelyan started fighting in Ukraine since the first day of the war (Image: Volodymyr Omelyan)
The two President’s enjoyed a phone call on Xi’s birthday last week (Image: Getty)
He added that he is “100 percent sure China is behind” the bloody conflict but the country is reluctant “to make it an open war” over concerns of economic fallout with the West.
This is why, he said, President Xi Jinping hasn’t been openly pushing for the war but instead secretly financing it.
The bond between the two nations has been described as stronger than ever with the pair even enjoying a phone call on President Xi Jinping’s birthday last week.
The Chinese President is said to have reassured the Russian tyrant that "bilateral relations have maintained a sound development momentum in the face of global turbulence and transformations”.
DON’T MISS: Russia fatalities in full: Putin’s army decimated by brave Ukrainians [INSIGHT] Mystery as Russian drone found in Turkey by mushroom hunters [ANALYSIS] All-out war fears as Russia violates NATO airspace [COMMENT]
Mr Omelyan said China is helping fund Russia’s role in the war (Image: Getty)
Xi even pledged more support to Moscow on "sovereignty and security" in a clear signal to the West over their continued economic ties, despite earlier warnings from Western leaders that the country risks major reputational damage by not condemning the Kremlin.
Mr Omelyan said: “He [President Xi Jinping] finances Russia.
“China increased consumption of Russian oil by 50 percent last month. Monthly, he [President Xi Jinping] pays almost $10billion (£8billion) for Russian energy resources”.
The ex-Government official urged “Europeans and NATO” to “reawaken their spirit” and fight for democracy.
He said: “Right now, what is going on, will decide the 21st century as a period of time, so if don’t stop Russia and China, all of us are in great trouble. It’s not just about Ukraine, it’s about all of us.”
- Congressman calls out Georgetown University over China-linked funding
- Donald Trump accused of ‘treason’ by ex-CIA boss after historic talks with Vladimir Putin in Helsinki
- Sci-fi surveillance: Europe's secretive push into biometric technology
- Sanctions, COVID-19 Pandemic, Struggle for Global Stability: Key Takeaways From Putin's UNGA Speech
- Fang Fang scandal – China could have THOUSANDS of ‘honey trap’ spies bedding Americans for secrets, ex-CIA officer warns
- U.S. 'Unprincipled' on Human Rights, NGO Chief Warns
- China ramps up war on Australia after claiming Covid originated from frozen steak Down Under and not Wuhan
- 'Stronger together': Taiwan foreign minister urges new alliance against China
- US intelligence director says China is top threat to America
- The Polish Government is Attacking LGBTQ People. These Activists are Fighting Back.
- Why has the UK handed the world’s new most powerful weapon to China? Ultracold quantum matter research at Oxford that could create unhackable communications and radar to find submarines shared with Chinese military university
- Vladimir Putin rolls out Russia's coronavirus jab with sailors, doctors and teachers among the first to get Sputnik V shot in 'large-scale' Covid vaccination
- Britain is the envy of the world: Globe hails British first as Covid vaccine is rolled out (despite some sniping from the French)
- Vladimir Putin orders 'large-scale' vaccination of doctors, teachers
- Envoys from both sides warn against war amid worst relations between Russia and Nato in decades and ‘growing risk of military conflict’
- Jerry Brown interview transcript: On fights worth fighting, runaway legislatures and ‘stupid’ laws
- China's billion-dollar Belt and Road party: Who's in and who's out
- 'Oh you must be heavy boned.' Marilyn Okoro's fight for body acceptance
- Putin orders 'large-scale' Covid-19 vaccination in Russia
- Europe hopes new R&D fund will boost meager defense capabilities and create opportunities for science
China secretly 'funding Putin' in Ukraine to 'fight Europeans' – horror warning to world have 1032 words, post on www.express.co.uk at June 23, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.