Coronavirus: ‘Prepare for another surge in winter’ says Nabarro
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Some of these symptoms, say researchers from the University of Milan, are caused by long-standing thyroid gland infections.
The thyroid gland is situated in the neck and is responsible for the production of hormones necessary for the body to function properly.
According to the Italian researchers, the COVID-19 virus can affect how these glands work for up to a year after initial infection after reports from patients experiencing "thyroid dysfunction".
The University of Milan's Illaria Muller said: "There is a clear link between thyroid dysfunction and COVID-19 disease.
Long Covid has been found to cause thyroid dysfunction. (Image: Getty Images)
The hormones the thyroid gland releases into the body are essential for the body's growth, metabolism, and development.
Furthermore, the gland will release extra hormones when the body needs a boost of energy, such as during pregnancy .
In a study of Covid patients, thyroiditis was a frequent occurrence.
Thyroiditis occurs when the thyroid gland becomes inflamed.
DON’T MISS Cancer warning: Popular UK drink causes ‘several’ cancers [ADVICE] Diabetes: The golden drink that lowers blood sugar [TIPS] Dementia: The way you drive could be a sign [INSIGHT]
What are the symptoms of thyroiditis?
Symptoms will depend on the type of thyroiditis the patient has developed; there are five forms:
Depending on the form of the condition, it can be treated with antibiotics.
Some forms of thyroiditis can cause a sore throat. (Image: Getty Images)
Meanwhile, the focus continues on not just what causes long Covid , but how it can be treated.
A new avenue is being looked into by University College London.
The team are looking into whether blood thinners could be used to alleviate symptoms; the basis behind this experiment is due to the relationship between COVID-19 and an increased risk of blood clots.
As a result, blood thinners could help to reduce the associated risks of Covid .
Symptoms of long Covid. (Image: Daily Express)
The Stimulate-ICP trial, due to start recruiting soon, will be one of the first UK trials to look at this link.
While there is a possibility blood thinners could be effective, Professor Betty Raman of the University of Oxford said: "There needs to be more dedicated studies looking at the efficacy of anticoagulants (blood thinners), just like we how we did with [treatments for] the acute unwell patients."
University College London's Professor Ami Banerjee echoes this point, concluding there is not yet conclusive proof.
However, with some patients beginning to feel left behind by the lack of new treatments, any avenue of research is one filled with hope and possibility for an improved quality of life.
- Monkeypox: The test that could detect the virus in 90 minutes
- Bowel cancer: The diet tied to higher risk of the disease
- Type 2 diabetes: The eating pattern linked to high blood sugar
- High blood pressure: The simple exercise shown to lower BP
- Sleep: Three ways to tell if you're getting good quality sleep
- Diabetes Research: New Discoveries And Tools
- New Discovery: How Zinc Can Help with Infections
- Gene Research: New Discoveries And The Latest News
- NEW DISCOVERY: Lou Gehrig’s Disease Breakthrough
- The New Discovery That Could Stop the Spread of Cancer
- 12 Plants and Herbs That Heal Respiratory Infections and Repair Pulmonary Damage
- Vitamin D may be your best defense against respiratory infections, new science finds
- Brain Research: New Discoveries And Experiments
- Cranberry Juice Does Not Prevent Urinary Tract Infection, New Study Finds
- Germs and Chemicals Galore: Top 5 Everyday Items That Contribute to Infection, Asthma and Even Birth Defects
- Land Rover Discovery Breaks Guinness Record By Making Debut On World's Largest LEGO Tower Bridge
- The Invisible Health Condition Behind Everything From Heart Disease To Erectile Dysfunction
- Eustachian tube dysfunction: Causes, symptoms, and treatment
- Enzyme That Neutralizes Sugar, Fat Deposits Found In The Body
- Diabetes Research: New Breakthroughs And Advancements
- New Finding Could Help in the Battle Against Strep
- How PTSD Can Lead to Sexual Dysfunction
- Byzantine Woman Died Of Fatal Infection 800 Years Ago
- New FDA Warning: Certain Antibiotics Linked To Serious Nerve Damage
- Body Odor Can Denote Illness and Threat of Contagion: Study
Covid: The ‘dysfunction’ in the body that’s present a year after infection – new discovery have 890 words, post on www.express.co.uk at June 30, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.