Celebrity Gogglebox aired a special episode in celebration of Pride this week with the likes of the cast of Heartstopper, Strictly’s Johannes Radebe and draq queens
The extra special instalment saw the likes of Gogglebox regulars Rylan Clark , Denise Van Outen and Nick Grimshaw welcome viewers into their living rooms alongside some new faces, including the cast of Netflix’s Hearstopper , Strictly Come Dancing stars Johannes Radebe and John Whaite and former RuPaul’s Drag Race UK contestants Tia Kofi, Lawrence Chaney and Bimini Bon-Bouash.
WATCH: Heartstopper stars Kit Connor, Joe Locke, Yasmin Finney and William Gao on Gogglebox
But despite being some of Britain’s best-loved LGBTQ+ personalities, some viewers revealed on Twitter that they didn’t know who they were. As one said : “Ok I’m gonna need an explainer as to who all these new people are on #CelebrityGogglebox.”
Another admitted they felt old as they struggled to recognise some of the younger faces , tweeting: “Who are Joe, Will, Yasmin and Kit pls? Am old, don’t know #CelebrityGogglebox.”
Strictly Come Dancing stars Johannes Radebe and John Whaite reunited for the show
A third echoed this, writing: “#CelebrityGogglebox who is anyone on here anymore?! I feel so old not knowing who half the people are maybe add a little profile on everyone under their names?? #justsaying #justaskin.”
However, others quickly rushed to defend the show and its new stars. ” People asking ‘Who are these celebrities?’ have either been living under a rock or are not part of the LGBTQIA+ community. Just because you don’t know who they are, doesn’t mean they are not celebrities,” someone passionately wrote.
Many Celebrity Gogglebox favourites also appeared on the episode
Many others were left emotional after watching the episode and said that they would love to see more diverse faces on the show in the future. Someone said: ” #CelebrityGogglebox just ended with “Here’s to the queer kids” and I burst into tears. Couldn’t agree more. Exploring who you are is brave and amazing and our queer kids make my role so fun and rewarding.”
Another wrote: “Thank you to all the celebrities who were on Gogglebox on Channel 4 tonight, you made this queer kid’s life a little brighter as I felt a little bit more seen,” and a third said: “Please bring the Heartstopper kids back for another ep, they were great!”
During the episode, which aired to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Pride in the UK, the celebrities watched This Is My House, Big Boys and Scream , as well as coverage from this year’s Glastonbury festival.
Like this story? Sign up to our What to Watch newsletter to get other stories like this delivered straight to your inbox.
- Celebrity Gogglebox viewers shocked by 'disgusting' moment in new episode
- Gogglebox viewers left disappointed by latest episode - find out why
- Gyles Brandreth explains why ex Celebrity Gogglebox co-star Sheila Hancock left show
- Gogglebox viewers slam ‘traumatising’ episode as they plead ‘Stop showing animal kills’
- Celebrity MasterChef viewers fuming as Channel 5 News leaks winner before Christmas special episode airs
- Gogglebox stars share heartache over Prince Philip's death in moving posts 'Such sad news'
- Gogglebox fans fume as Channel 4 air celebrity special 'repeat' in schedule shake-up
- Gogglebox star Joe Baggs unrecognisable as he stuns fans with dramatic makeover
- Gogglebox's Stephen Webb gives update on future on show after Christmas sign off
- Gogglebox stars Jenny and Lee bid farewell as they share 'last filming day' announcement
- I’m A Celebrity 2021 cast: Stars rumoured for line-up from Snoochie Shy to Louise Redknapp
- Gogglebox's Paige Deville talks 'toughest battles' as she spends Xmas alone after mum feud
- Talented Gogglebox star Giles Wood has lucrative second job as well as TV fame
- Gogglebox fan favourites Dave and Shirley say 'we're done' in show announcement
- Gogglebox cast's hidden other halves who didn't make it on the Channel 4 show
- Gogglebox star Gyles Brandreth announces one-man show - details
- Gogglebox's Shirley and Dave share gorgeous snap of rarely seen kids on pub outing
- Gogglebox stars assure fans they will return as filming wraps for Christmas
- I’m a Celebrity 2021 reunion LIVE: Danny Miller, Simon Gregson & David Ginola return to TV for ‘Castle Story’ special
- Ofcom assessing complaints about DJ Steve Allen calling Strictly's Tilly Ramsay "chubby"
Celebrity Gogglebox viewers all have same complaint over Pride special have 778 words, post on www.hellomagazine.com at July 2, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.