A Spanish judge has approved a trial for Colombian pop singer Shakira on charges of tax fraud.
Spanish prosecutors accused the entertainer in 2018 of failing to pay €14.5 million (NZ$24.71 million) in taxes on income earned between 2012 and 2014. Prosecutors are seeking an eight-year prison sentence and a hefty fine if she is found guilty of tax evasion.
Shakira, 45, has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and rejected a deal with authorities to avoid going to trial.
Her public relations firm has said that she has already paid all that she owed and an additional €3 million ($2.8 million) in interest.
READ MORE: Shakira and Gerard Piqué break up after 11 years together Shakira explains those ambulance photos after announcing Gerard Piqué breakup Shakira successfully 'confronted' wild boars after they ‘attacked’ her alongside son and took bag
The court based in the town of Esplugues de Llobregat near Barcelona said that Shakira will face six counts of tax fraud. The date for the trial has yet to be set.
The case hinges on where Shakira lived during 2012-14. Prosecutors in Barcelona have alleged the Grammy winner spent more than half of that period in Spain and should have paid taxes in the country, even though her official residence was in the Bahamas.
Shakira, whose full name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, has been linked to Spain since she started dating soccer player Gerard Pique. The couple, who have two children, used to live together in Barcelona but recently ended their 11-year relationship .
Spain has cracked down on soccer stars like Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo over the past decade for not paying their full due in taxes. They were found guilty of evasion but both avoided prison time thanks to a provision that allows a judge to waive sentences under two years in length for first-time offenders.
- Shakira's stunning Miami Beach home is on the market for £8.7million
- Sergei Magnitsky: A 'Modern Russian Show Trial'
- The Hill's 12:30 Report - Derek Chauvin trial continues
- Malaysia's ex-PM Najib faces bankruptcy over tax bill
- Malaysian ex-PM Najib faces bankruptcy over tax bill
- Portugal's former PM Socrates to stand trial for alleged money laundering
- The Hill's Morning Report - Biden's next act: Massive infrastructure plan with tax hikes
- The Hill's Morning Report - Biden seeks expanded government, tax hikes
- Roger Stone Got A Pardon From Trump, But Now The Feds Are Suing Him For $2 Million In Unpaid Taxes
- ‘Real Housewives Of Salt Lake City’ Star Jen Shah Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Fraud Charges
- 'Real Housewives' star Jen Shah thanks fans, friends for 'true loyalty' amid fraud scandal
- French pharma giant faces verdict on weight loss pill deaths
- Trump faces test of power with early endorsements
- Murder fugitive suspected of shooting teen and mum-of-3 in cold blood is almost in my sights after 16 years on the run
- DMX health updates – Brain tests today with rapper ‘in vegetative state on life support after OD caused 3 heart attacks’
- UK government imposes sanctions on 22 people accused of serious corruption
- Lady Gaga to leave comfort zone with House of Gucci role as 'Black Widow' socialite
- Coulter: Derek Chauvin, George Floyd, and the Case Against Mob Justice
- Rita Ora looks unrecognisable with dramatic new orange hairdo in sexy music video snaps
- Trump may issue 50 to 100 commutations, pardons before term ends; rapper Lil Wayne expected to be on list
Pop singer Shakira to face trial over tax fraud in Spain have 538 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at September 27, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.