Vatican City ● Sat, October 1 2022
The Vatican on Thursday acknowledged that it had secretly disciplined Timor Leste bishop and Nobel Peace Prize winner Carlos Ximenes Belo two years ago, responding to allegations that he sexually abused boys in what was then East Timor decades before.
The Vatican acknowledgement came in response to reporters’ questions following an article this week in Dutch magazine De Groene Amsterdammer .
In its report, De Groene Amsterdammer quoted two men, identified with pseudonyms, as saying Belo raped them when they were 14 and 15 and then later gave them money.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- Pope Mandates Reporting of Sex Abuse Claims in Vatican City
- A Global Look at the Catholic Church's Sex Abuse Problem
- Wife of Man Who Allegedly Sexually Abused 4-Year-Old Daughter Arrested on Child Pornography Charge
- Woody Allen Sues Amazon For Dropping Film Deal After Sex Abuse Accusation Resurfaced
- Pope Demands Bishops Act Now to End Scourge of Sex Abuse
- Catholic Church Sex Abuse Cover-up Linked to Secret Gay Culture: ‘Everyone Is Protecting His Own Little Secret’
- Vatican Defrocks Former US Cardinal McCarrick Over Sex Abuse
- Window for priest sex-abuse lawsuits could rock Staten Island this summer
- Third lawsuit accuses former Albany Bishop Howard Hubbard of sex abuse
- Most Senior Catholic Charged With Child Sex Abuse Convicted
- Scotia contractor arrested for allegedly sexually abusing child
- Sex-abuse victims confront Vatican
- R. Kelly lawyer says Michael Avenatti has ‘polluted’ sex-abuse case
- Expectations high for pope’s sex-abuse conference, but some brace for disappointment
- R. Kelly lawyer says Avenatti ‘polluted’ sex-abuse case
- Dr. Michael Dick allegedly sexually abused incapacitated patient
- N.J. lawmakers weigh bill easing sex-abuse statute of limitations
- N.J. Senate votes to ease sex-abuse statute of limitations
- AG Weiser, Denver archdiocese announce review of Colorado clergy sex-abuse allegations
- R. Kelly Leaves Jail After Posting $100K in Sex Abuse Case
Belo secretly disciplined over alleged sex abuse have 342 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at October 1, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.