Strictly’s Will Mellor dedicates routine to late dad
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Will Mellor, 46, is a favourite to win the Glitterball Trophy on this year’s Strictly Come Dancing , but there was once a time when he was unsure whether he wanted to compete at all. In an unearthed early interview, he revealed that past girlfriends had felt forced to end their relationships with him after his fame exploded and rumours circulated about him cheating with other women.
The interview, which took place when the Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps star was just 24, delved into his heartache as he struggled to cope with his rising notoriety.
“If I had slept with all the girls I am supposed to have had, I would have withered away. I’m not the Bionic Man. It is nigh-on impossible!” he exclaimed in disbelief to the Mirror .
“I just got sick of being in the public limelight for the wrong reasons,” he added.
Will admitted that his TV actress girlfriend Angela Griffin – whom he dated during his early 20s – was equally exhausted by the constant rumours and felt obliged to end her relationship with him over it.
Will Mellor has confessed the true reason he wasn’t initially keen on taking part in Strictly (Image: INSTAGRAM)
Will Mellor with his late dad, whose death gave him the impetus to take on new challenges (Image: ITV)
Heartbroken Will reflected later that the pair were “obviously not meant to be”.
Declaring her a “beautiful girl”, he lamented: “She did believe in me but just got sick of all the stories. That is what finished our relationship off.”
The Strictly star who, like Angela, also once had a part in Coronation Street, has always insisted the claims about him were false.
He recalled that his uncle Barry was “really angry” over the way that false reports surrounding his relationships had sabotaged his chances of having a stable love life.
Will Mellor surrounded by glittery disco balls on a photoshoot for Strictly (Image: PA)
Will Mellor testing out his dance moves on Strictly (Image: BBC)
However, Will also admitted that he was a little troubled by his relationship for other reasons as well.
“I got sick of being in a celebrity couple,” he elaborated, explaining that at the beginning of his career, he had been better known for his status as a more famous woman’s girlfriend, than for his acting.
He was delighted when the tables started to turn and he was recognised for his acting roles as a showbiz name in his own right.
However, he had still been uncertain about signing up to Strictly, concerned that it would negatively affect his reputation.
Lady Gaga filmed love scene with Salma Hayek that was cut from movie [BEHIND THE SCENES]
Meg Ryan says giving birth to her son was a ‘lottery’ [UNEARTHED INTERVIEW]
“I've been asked to do things over the years and I've never wanted to do them,” he admitted to Metro.co.uk .
“I was always a bit wary of doing things that might affect my career in a negative way.”
However, he added that his “mindset” changed drastically two years ago, after he lost his father during the height of the pandemic.
“Once I had gone through the grief I just realised you have to grab life and start saying "yes" to things,” he explained.
Will is still plagued by past football injuries, which affect the way his knees respond to intensive dance practice, and he has resorted to putting ice on his legs after gruelling rehearsals.
However, the star is now making the most of every opportunity that comes his way.
He also has the stamp of approval from Shirley Ballas, who praised his hip movements on Celebrity Juice before he’d even signed up for the show.
Strictly continues this weekend on BBC One, when viewers will get to see Will’s second performance – and it promises to be electrifying.
- Will Mellor of Strictly Come Dancing’s private life and marriage
- ‘Rachel Riley declares her disgust for Putin as nuclear threats loom
- Mrs Doubtfire star Sally Field almost unrecognisable in early pics
- Paddington star Simon Farnaby left in tears following Queen’s death
- Strictly’s Kym Marsh had volatile relationship with former co-star
- Who is in the Strictly Come Dancing 2020 celebrity line up?
- AJ Pritchard quit Strictly over 'gruelling' days - but his mum let slip hidden motive
- 'Will we ever see you again?' Piers Morgan quizzes Ranvir Singh over her future on GMB amid claims bosses 'fear they could lose her' after Strictly
- Razer Hammerhead True Wireless Pro review: Happy, happy earholes
- The 30 best true crime series to watch on Netflix right now
- Everything You Wanted To Know About "Dateline" But Were Afraid To Ask
- The NIH’s top vaccine maker wants Warp Speed to be the new normal
- 'Oh my God, I'm going to lose her': Father of tragic Emily Jones, 7, recalls harrowing thought when his 'beautiful little soul mate' was killed by mental patient - and says he wants her story told because it's a public outrage
- The best subreddits you should subscribe to in 2020
- Spider-Ham’s Very Unkosher Journey From Joke to
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: Dec. 4-9
- The 53 best movies on Amazon Prime right now
- Care homes will have to WAIT for Pfizer coronavirus vaccine: Jab will be distributed at hospitals first and then GP surgeries because doses can only be transported in batches of 975
- It's enough to turn your stomach: Chlorinated chicken, pork with growth hormone, and sponge cake made with cruelly produced eggs... all coming to your kitchen if MPs don't ban sub-standard foreign food in a crucial vote next week
- Sen. Jack Reed on push for answers on reported Russian bounties for American troops
- Doug Jones’ Gay Son Carson Gave Mike Pence the Best Side-Eye of 2018
- Confined to our homes, schools closed and small businesses in ruin: Prime Minister may announce tough new restrictions TODAY - so what will an Italy-style lockdown look like in Australia?
- Bikini-clad Katie Price receives get well flowers to her sun lounger and confirms she may not be able to walk for 'more than six months' after breaking BOTH her ankles and feet in a freak holiday accident
- Studio Ghibli's movies on HBO Max, the best ones ranked
- NIH Director: ‘It Is Astounding What’s Been Done’ Regarding COVID-19 Vaccine
'Sick of the limelight' Will Mellor on true reason he never wanted to be part of Strictly have 1211 words, post on www.express.co.uk at October 1, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.