Jakarta ● Thu, November 24 2022
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has given a nod to lawmakers' controversial dismissal of Constitutional Court justice Aswanto and the appointment of Guntur Hamzah as his replacement, setting what civil groups say is an alarming precedent that undermines the independence of the judiciary.
Guntur, previously the court's secretary-general, was appointed by the House of Representatives in late September to replace Aswanto, a two-time House appointee who was supposed to end his tenure in 2029.
Aswanto’s removal drew accusations of legislative overreach, as prevailing laws do not grant lawmakers the authority to remove a justice. They stipulate that a justice can only be dismissed by a presidential decree in response to a request from the court's chief justice.
to Read Full Story
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription
- A ‘forgetful’ chief Justice, an illustration of the Nigerian problem
- Mark Zuckerberg gives speech depicting Facebook as at the center of struggle for free expression
- AMOTEKUN: Constitutional, legal, security issues involved
- 'I do believe he should be removed from office.' Mitt Romney to break with Republican Party and vote to convict Donald Trump on abuse of power charge
- Chief Justice Roberts presided impartially, yet left questions whether Trump’s trial was a fair one
- 'He will not change. And you know it': Adam Schiff pleads for Republicans to remove Donald Trump as closing arguments end in impeachment trial - but defense attorney Ken Starr says prosecution just wants to make the 2016 election 'null and void'
- NBC Contributor Says Democratic ‘New Way Forward’ Bill Gives Illegal Aliens Due Process
- Democratic AGs plan to file lawsuit over ERA
- Trump trolls the trial as a Looney Tunes episode by tweeting video of Adam Schiff as Wile E. Coyote – as Democrats use first day of their impeachment case to call him a 'despot' and his lawyer Rudy Giuliani is named as running a 'corrupt scheme' to force B
- What Is Impeachment? Everything to Know About the Process and Whether Trump Will Remain President
- View: Muslims resist CAA drawing on democracy, AIMPLB bars democracy from custom
- Bill Barr, Trump’s Hatchet Man, Is About to Become His Scapegoat
- Farmaajo’s onslaught on ‘rebel’ states goes on amid opposition cries
- Joseph Wood: Arizona murderer dies almost two hours after execution begins
- The Hill's Morning Report - Sanders surge triggers Dem angst
- US Senate acquits Donald Trump in historic vote as re-election campaign looms
- Raising the Barr isn't always the best way to combat corruption
- Judge allows crime victims amendment to stay on ballot
- Arthur Nwankwo: Giant in a country of political Lilliputians
- Will Texas Execute an Innocent Man?
Jokowi gives nod to controversial removal of constitutional justice have 471 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at November 24, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.