ENGLAND face their biggest game of the World Cup so far as they take on Senegal for a place in the quarter-finals of the competition.
But the Three Lions will be bouyed by the news that Idrissa Gueye won’t be in Senegal’s midfield through suspension.
- Start time : 7pm GMT
- Live stream/TV : ITV1/ITV X
- England XI : To follow
- Senegal XI: To follow
Follow all the action from Qatar with our live blog below…
How did they get here?
England began their campaign in thrilling fashion as they thrashed Iran 6-2, with young Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka picking up two goals.
After a disappointing draw with the USA, the Three Lions secured top spot in the group after beating rivals Wales 3-0, leaving the Dragons to finish bottom of the group.
Senegal had a harder start to life in Qatar, losing their opener to Netherlands due to two late goals.
However, wins over hosts Qatar as well as a tightly fought battle with Ecuador meant that Senegal had qualified for the Round of 16 for the first time since 2002.
Most read in Football
England are set to have a fully fit squad for their last-16 match-up with Senegal, barring Ben White’s early return home.
Southgate, however, may decide to hand Marcus Rashford a start following his brilliant performance in the win over Wales.
Foden also impressed, but Bukayo Saka could come back into the side, as could Mason Mount, who dropped to the bench in favour of Jordan Henderson on Tuesday night.
Kieran Tripper may also come back into the XI alongside Kyle Walker, but that would most likely see England’s system change from a 4-3-3 to one that favours five at the back.
Senegal will also have a mostly fit squad butkey man Sadio Mane will be OUT of the game, having been ruled out the tournament with a knee inury.
Who will be the star men?
Southgate will have a selection headache after standout performances from many of his players so far.
But Harry Maguire has been one of the surprise packages this tournament, being a rock of stability at the back as well as a potential goal threat from set pieces.
Maguire’s Manchester United team-mate Rashford has also shone, netting three times whilst sitting joint first in the race for the Golden Boot.
But he will face tough competition for his spot with the likes of Bukayo Saka and Phil Foden also on great form.
Ismaila Sarr has seemed to fill the void of Sadio Mane for the Senegalese team, looking like a constant threat up top as well as scoring a cheeky no-look penalty against Ecuador.
Chelsea duo Edouard Mendy and Kalidou Koulibaly will also be looking to keep out the goals as they hope to advance to the quarter-finals.
What is the head to head?
This will be the first meeting between the two sides.
England will be looking to continue their unbeaten streak against African nations at the World Cup which has seen them win six and draw three.
When is England vs Senegal?
- England’s World Cup last-16 clash with Senegal will take place TODAY – Sunday, December 4.
- The match will get underway from 7pm UK time.
- England vs Senegal will be held at the Al Bayt Stadium in Al Khor, Qatar.
- The stadium holds just under 70,000 fans and played host to England’s 0-0 draw with USA.
What channel is it and can it be live streamed?
- England vs Senegal will be shown live on ITV 1 in the UK.
- You can live stream the action from the ITV X app, which is available for download onto your mobile or tablet device.
- Coverage of the game will get going from 6pm GMT.
Can I watch for FREE?
- Yes, you can watch England vs Senegal for FREE, so long as you have a TV licence.
- England – 8/15
- Draw – 29/10
- Senegal – 13/2
- England to qualify – 1/5
- Senegal to qualify – 10/3
*Odds courtesy of Betfair and correct at time of publication.
Matt Penn a minute ago
Three Lions ooze confidence
Having never lost to African opposition in 20 previous international matches, England will be looking to make it 21 today in Al Khor.
With it being Senegal's second only appearance in the knockout phase, they will be looking to make a statement against Gareth Southgate' side.
The Lions of Teranga have a number of players playing their trade in England who will be more buoyed up than ever to cause a shock result.
Matt Penn 15 minutes ago
It’s hours before kick-off and England fans are making themselves heard in Al Khor…
Matt Penn 24 minutes ago
Aliou's race against time
Senegal manager Aliou Cisse is trying to return to full-fitness himself in time for this evening's last 16 crunch showdown with England.
The Lions of Teranga have been without their manager for training and media duties as he reported feeling unwell with fever like symptoms.
Senegal have said they are confident he will be on the touchline for the game but only time will tell.
Assistant coach Regis Bogaert has been leading training in his absence.
Matt Penn 32 minutes ago
England lead way in Qatar
The Three Lions will have to break a 20-year curse to win the tournament.
England finished the strongest in the group stages with seven points and a goal difference of plus seven, better than any other side in Qatar.
Recent history suggests the best performers in the group stages rarely go on to win the World Cup, with the last side to do so being Brazil in 2002.
Matt Penn 44 minutes ago
Tough choices ahead for boss
Able to rotate the team in their last match against Wales, the players Southgate granted some game time to, really stood up to the plate and performed against Rob Page's Welsh outfit.
Jordan Henderson, Marcus Rashford, Phil Foden and Kyle Walker all put in shifts that will make it hard not to pick them for today's game.
Southgate now has a selection headache with Raheem Sterling, Mason Mount, Bukayo Saka and Kieran Trippier all waiting in the wings.
Matt Penn 51 minutes ago
Gareth with point to prove
Coming into this tournament, things were not feeling too positive for the Three Lions, having been relegated from the top tier of the UEFA Nations League.
Two defeats against Hungary really underlined the form of Southgate's side with many fans not holding much hope for a stellar showing in Qatar.
Their opening 2022 World Cup fixture saw them hammer Iran 6-2, suddenly waking fans from their slumber.
A dreary 0-0 draw against the USA followed before England beat Wales 3-0 in their final group game.
Matt Penn 56 minutes ago
Welcome to England vs Senegal
Hello and welcome to SunSport’s live coverage of England vs Senegal at the World Cup!
The Three Lions face a huge last-16 stage clash against the Africa Cup of Nations champions Senegal, who came second in their group.
Aliou Cisse’s side, however, are resolute and will pose Gareth Southgate’s men problems all over the pitch, particularly on the left with Watford man Ismalia Sarr.
The Lions of Teranga also have Chelsea duo Edouard Mendy and Kalidou Koulibaly in their ranks, but will be without Idrissa Gueye through susepnsion.
And, as has been the case all tournament, star man Sadio Mane is missing.
For England, Southgate will have his usual selection headache to deal with.
Which of Rashford, Saka, Foden, Sterling and Mount does he start?
England beat Wales 3-0 to top their group as they finished with more points than Brazil, France, Portugal, Spain, Germany and Belgium.
But today they’ll face their toughest test yet in Senegal, though England are undefeated in their last 21 outings against African opponents.
Win and England will set themselves up with a quarter-final clash against the winners of France vs Poland.
So sit back and enjoy the action – we’ve got you covered at SunSport Towers.
- Andrade vs Kautondokwa: Live stream, what TV channel, start time and undercard for vacant WBO middleweight title fight
- Fury vs Wilder: Live stream, what TV channel, UK start time, undercard, fight record and weigh-in results
- Scotland vs Russia live stream, TV channel, radio coverage for Rugby World Cup match
- South Africa vs Canada live stream, TV channel, radio coverage for Rugby World Cup match
- Australia vs Georgia live stream, TV channel, radio coverage for Rugby World Cup match
- UFC 230 – Cormier vs Lewis live stream FREE: How to watch tonight’s fight card online, on your mobile, and on TV
- UFC 230 – Cormier vs Lewis live stream FREE: How to watch tonight’s event online, on your mobile and on TV
- Usyk vs Bellew live stream FREE: How to watch coverage from big Manchester bill
- Watch Usyk vs Bellew live stream FREE: How to watch coverage from big Manchester bill
- How to watch Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury fight tonight: live stream and TV channel information
- Oakland Raiders vs Seattle Seahawks FREE: Live stream, TV channel, kick-off time and teams for the first London NFL game
- Raiders vs Seahawks FREE: Live stream, TV channel, start time and inactives for first London NFL game
- WWE Evolution FREE: Live stream, TV channel, start time and news ahead of the first ever All-Women’s event
- Fury vs Wilder: Live stream, TV channel, start time, undercard info, fight record and weigh-in results
- Australia vs England – Women’s World T20 Final FREE: Live stream, TV channel, start time and teams
- Juventus vs Manchester United live stream FREE: How to watch huge match tonight with paying a penny
- Fury vs Wilder: Live streaming, TV channel, start time and tickets for world heavyweight title fight
- Fury vs Wilder: Box office live streaming, TV channel, start time and tickets for world heavyweight title fight
- Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2019 games to be broadcast on eir Sport and RTÉ
- What time is Tony Bellew vs Usyk fight and what TV channel and live stream is it on?
England vs Senegal LIVE: Stream FREE, TV channel, kick-off time for Three Lions’ huge World Cup last-16 game – updates have 1834 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at December 4, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.