Scotland is bracing itself for frosty conditions next week, with the Met office issuing its first yellow snow warning of the season.
The weather warning covers most of northern Scotland, where heavy snow and strong northerly winds- creating some drifting and blizzard conditions- can be expected on Wednesday.
Snow up to 5cm could fall in lower areas, with up to 10cm expected at levels above 200m, the weather service said.
The Met Office warned that the snow showers might bring travel disruption, with some roads and railways likely to be affected.
Heavy snow and strong northerly winds- creating some drifting and blizzard conditions- can be expected in Scotland next week. Pictured: snow in Balloch, Scotland in March 2018
The Met Office has issued its first snow warning of the year for northern Scotland on Wednesday
The whole of the UK can expect temperatures to plummet in the coming days. Pictured: tourists wrapped up as they enjoyed a ride on the River Cam in Cambridge this morning
The yellow warning, which is in place for the whole of Wednesday, covers Central, Tayside & Fife, Grampian, Highlands & Eilean Siar and Orkney & Shetland.
Weather maps from WXCharts suggest that some snowfall will arrive in the Scottish Highlands, parts of the Pennines and Wales early tomorrow morning.
Share this article
And the whole of the UK can expect temperatures to plummet in the coming days with the arrival of a wintry storm called the ‘Troll of Trondheim’.
Forecasters say a spell of low pressure originating from Norway is expected to hit the UK, resulting in plunging temperatures.
The yellow warning, which is in place for the whole of Wednesday, covers Central, Tayside & Fife, Grampian, Highlands & Eilean Siar and Orkney & Shetland. Pictured: Cairngorm Mountain during the first snow of the winter on November 20
It has been suggested that Britain will see the worst of this cold spell between December 10 and 15.
As temperatures drop, bookies are slashing the odds on a white Christmas, with Ladbrokes offering 6-4 on there being snowfall anywhere in the UK on December 25.
The last widespread white Christmas in the UK was 2010, when 83 per cent of weather stations recorded snow on the ground – last year it was just 1 per cent.
- Britain snow warning: Temperatures will plummet as wintry conditions hit the UK
- BBC Weather: Carol Kirkwood warns UK set for below freezing conditions as mercury plummets
- Heavy snow warning issued by Met Office with eight inches set to blanket UK
- Londoners suffer in stifling 107F on busy Tube while UK roasts in heatwave... as Britain braces for hottest day EVER on Tropical Thursday
- Britain braced for snow again just days after baking in heatwave
- Washington Reels From Snow-Induced Mayhem as It Braces for More Usual Winter Weather
- Washington Reels From Snow-Induced Mayhem as It Braces for More Unusual Winter Weather
- 'Risk to life' warning over heavy snow today
- Is the weather really too hot for shirts on the Underground? Tube and train passengers strip as London hits 99.9F on UK's second hottest day ever
- Met Office forecast warns of ‘very significant snow’ with -10°C on its way
- UK snow weather warning: Britons prepare for chaotic cold blast bringing snow TONIGHT
- So much for BBQ weather! Homes are evacuated and motorists warned of 'atrocious' driving conditions as flash flooding wreaks havoc across Britain with THUNDERSTORMS on the way
- Flood-hit Britain faces 36 HOURS of rain, hail and 'severe' thunderstorms, leaving 600 families STILL unable to return to their homes until the weekend
- UK weather forecast: Temperatures to plummet in Halloween washout as snow is set to strike
- Storm Helene set to bring 65mph winds as Met Office issues yellow weather warning
- UK braced for first October snow in 6 years as Met Office warns of winter chill
- Brits warned as temperatures of -10 expected to hit next week
- Britain faces five day freeze with 60mph storms, snow and washouts on the way
- Freezing weather 'certain' to return to UK with more snow expected
- UK weather forecast: Britain set for relentless heavy showers and strong winds
First snow warning hits Scotland as Britain braces itself for for icy conditions next week have 684 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 3, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.