Rain continued to soak the San Francisco Bay Area on Monday morning as a low-pressure system lingers over Northern California. Scattered showers are expected throughout the day with a slight chance for thunderstorms, the National Weather Service said.
“We are seeing thunderstorms over the water this morning, but as they come onshore they’ve been weakening,” Sarah McCorkle, a forecaster with the weather service’s Monterey office, said at 5 a.m. “We have about a 10 to 15% chance for thunderstorms today.”
Just south of the Bay Area, the weather service issued a special statement just after 6 a.m. warning of waterspouts over the ocean, 30 mph winds and small hail through 6:45 a.m.
“Waterspouts can easily overturn boats and create locally hazardous waters,” the weather service said.
McCorkle said the rainy weather is the result of a system that was centered off the coast of Northern California near the Oregon border.
“It has been moving pretty slowly,” she said. “It’s drawing in moisture and providing enough instability for storm activity. It’s supposed to approach the coast and weaken on Tuesday.”
Rainfall on Monday is forecast to be scattered, with heavier downpours followed by clearing and then more rain. McCorkle said most urban areas of the Bay Area, including the North Bay, Peninsula and San Francisco, are likely to receive about a half inch of rain on Monday. The East Bay and South Bay may see a little less than a half inch. Monday’s precipitation comes after several days of rain that started on Thursday.
“Conditions are expected to dry out Tuesday morning,” McCorkle told SFGATE on the phone.
As the system exits Northern California, cold air from Canada and the Pacific Northwest is forecast to spill into the region behind it.
“Dry conditions and colder temperatures expected midweek with highs in the 50s and lows in the 30s for our inland spots,” the weather service said in its forecast.
- Guide to the SF Bay Area’s Fourth of July 2018
- 9 awesome SF Bay Area things to do in June
- Counting Crows, Live team for ’90s night in SF Bay Area
- These towns have the highest per capita crime rates in the Bay Area
- What outsiders don't realize about San Francisco and the Bay Area
- How to say goodbye to the Bay Area: What I'll miss the most and my biggest regrets
- Why people move: It's not just housing costs pushing people out of the Bay Area
- Chance of showers, thunderstorms possible this weekend
- Warriors parade: Bay Area parties with back-to-back champs
- 'Intense' Sunday rain could flood Houston-area streets, briefly raise bayous
- Is the grass really greener? People who left the Bay Area for the Pacific Northwest tell us why
- Thunderstorms, possible hail expected for Hill Country tonight
- Hail, heat and thunderstorms possible in Denver metro area on Wednesday
- Thunderstorms and rain to sweep across UK
- 5 more new OMG-good extreme ice cream shops around the Bay Area
- Severe Thunderstorms Possible this Afternoon
- Weather forecast: Scattered Bay area showers
- More thunderstorms predicted to soak southern and western regions
- Thunderstorm and rain warnings issued for Staffordshire
- Heavy downpours, thunderstorms possible for central Pa. on Wednesday
Thunderstorms possible as rain soaks SF Bay Area have 561 words, post on www.sfgate.com at December 5, 2022. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.