Spain: James Cleverly is asked about Gibraltar entry 'stunts'
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Brexiteer Ben Habib has questioned whether or not Rishi Sunak’s Government has been awake as he fears Britain losing its treasured overseas territory of Gibraltar. Post- Brexit trade and border-crossings arrangements between Spain and Gibraltar have been operating on an ad hoc basis since the UK left the EU. The Rock, on the Southern tip of Spain, will be at the heart of talks between the UK Government and the EU Commission on Thursday and Friday.
Back in December, Foreign Secretary James Cleverly hinted a breakthrough in trade talks over Gibraltar’s status was close.
While a free trade deal was struck between Britain and Brussels in 2020, Gibraltar’s own future has been the subject of drawn-out negotiations with little progress.
Madrid pushed to seize more control over the Rock by putting forward plans to eradicate border posts between Gibraltar and Spain.
The proposals would see the Rock effectively become a part of the EU’s Schengen zone that allows for free movement across the continent.
Ben Habib warns the UK could lose Gibraltar over Brexit (Image: GETTY)
Gibraltar’s own future has been the subject of drawn-out negotiations with little progress (Image: Getty)
HMRC chief suggests Nadhim Zahawi did not make ‘innocent error’ with tax
Nadhim Zahawi has not made an "innocent error" in his tax affairs, the boss of HMRC has suggested.
HMRC chief executive Jim Harra told MPs on the Public Accounts Committee this morning that "there are no penalties for innocent errors in your tax affairs".
In return, Spain would take control of the territory’s borders.
As talks resumed today, former Brexit Party MEP Ben Habib warned the UK Government could be losing its grip on the Rock if it caved to EU and Spanish demands over its status.
Speaking to Express.co.uk, he said: “All the focus is on Northern Ireland but Gibraltar too is being ripped away from the United Kingdom. Unless our government wakes up to that danger it will be subsumed by Spain and the EU without even a murmur.
“Gibraltar is not part of the United Kingdom, it is not riven with a sectarian divide and it overwhelmingly voted to remain in the EU. None of that means, however, that it should cease to be a British Overseas Territory without its people's consent. That is what is happening right now.
READ MORE: Lockheed Martin all set to meet F-16s demand
“Not being part of the UK, Gibraltar is not a party to the Trade and Cooperation Agreement. Its future relationship with the EU is being negotiated at the moment. Proposals tabled include:
– the removal of physical checks and controls on persons and goods at the land border between Spain and Gibraltar;
-the likely inclusion of Gibraltar in the Schengen zone;
– rights for cross border workers;
– the establishment of a level playing field – for which read alignment with EU laws on a dynamic basis – future laws made in Brussels will be foisted on Gibraltar; and CRUCIALLY
– a robust governance mechanism – for which read European Court of Justice oversight and rights to sanction.
“These provisions go much further than anything in the Protocol that binds Northern Ireland. If adopted into a treaty, they would result in Gibraltar seceding to Spain in short order.
“Is anyone in No. 10 awake?”
DON’T MISS: Putin humiliated as £33m of Russian helicopters wiped out in 30 mins [INSIGHT] Putin's ‘Wacky Races’ style Wagner Wagon branded ‘battlefield taxi’ [VIDEO] Brexit voters less confident in leaving EU due to economic fears [DATA]
Madrid continues to claim it has ownership of Gibraltar despite ceding it to Britain in 1713.
About 15,000 people commute daily from Spain to Gibraltar, which has a population of about 32,000.
Spain has been repeatedly accused of attempting to use Brexit to wrestle control of the small 2.6 square mile area, despite the majority of Gibraltar residents supporting remaining under the jurisdiction of the UK.
Britain and the EU set a deadline of the end of 2022 in order to give a hard end date to talks.
- Ted Bundy cried, prayed and refused to touch his death row meal
- Sunak vows to ‘detain and remove’ illegal migrants in major crackdown
- Guy Verhofstadt’s fresh demand for EU army slapped down by Brexiteers
- Brexit plan branded 'baffling' by M&S chief over trade fears
- Tories urged to axe 'weak' Sunak to survive as leading party
- Brexit trade war looms: Frost erupts at EU for ignoring 'urgent task' - A16 imminent
- Tory Dominic Raab says CANCELLING Brexit will now be better than May's deal
- Brexit: EU bids to cut UK business off from rest of world - Article 16 row boils over
- Anna Soubry demands Brexit be DELAYED with transition period extension - furious backlash
- Brexit: Gloating Rejoiners sarcastically mock petrol crisis as 'another win' for UK
- Ireland blames UK's 'tough guy' approach to Brexit amid Article 16 threat
- Brexit vindicated: Shapps goes nuclear on EU red tape - UK given route out of supply chaos
- 'You disrespected Armed Forces!' Wallace erupts at three 'drunk' MPs on Gibraltar flight
- Priti Patel on the brink: No10 losing faith after latest surge in Channel crossings
- Has Brexit made dealing with illegal migration more difficult?
- 'Destabilising the EU!' France hits back and defends Putin's Russia in border row
- France rejects British offer to patrol their beaches over sovereignty fears
- Gloating Remainers mock UK over festival's 'grow-your-own veg' plans
- BBC Question Time: Labour MP torn apart - Government makes her feel 'cynical'
- Inflation shock could derail UK recovery, warns IMF
- Rivian shares soar as Tesla rival starts trading
- 'Imminent Russia invasion' Katya Adler issues Putin warning that is terrifying
- Elon Musk set to sell £15.5 billion Tesla shares after Twitter vote - 'I only have stock'
- Medicines breakthrough could unlock Northern Ireland Protocol, says Maros Sefcovic
- Boris Johnson news – Sir Geoffrey Cox MP ‘earned MILLIONS from 2nd jobs & rented out his taxpayer-funded flat’
Brexiteer fumes at feared EU takeover of Gibraltar and asks 'is anyone in No10 awake?' have 1090 words, post on www.express.co.uk at January 27, 2023. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.