AN urgent health warning has been extended as freezing cold conditions have been forecast into the weekend.
A level three cold weather alert has been extended now from Friday until Saturday by the UK Health Security Agency.
Brits were today braced for more flooding .
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) extended the current level 3 cold weather alert until 12pm on Saturday 28 January.
The Environment Agency has activated 33 flood alerts, meaning flooding is possible, and 13 flood warnings, meaning flooding is likely.
The warnings cover areas including the Ebble Valley in Wiltshire and the Tarrant Valley in Dorset .
Most of them are related to groundwater flooding, where the ground is so waterlogged that it cannot absorb any more and so the excess water floods the surface.
It comes after heavy rain and freezing fog have blighted the country in recent weeks, giving groundwater no time to evaporate away.
An end to the fog is in sight and conditions are set to remain mostly dry this week.
The Met Office is forecasting that the freezing fog will clear tomorrow morning, giving way to sunny spells and a “mainly fine day”.
Most read in Health
Light rain showers are expected in the North West but most areas are set to remain clear.
Temperatures are predicted to stay lower than usual for this time of year, as Brits recover from a cold snap earlier this week that saw the mercury dip to -8C.
Going into the weekend, the Met forecast says: “Rain at times, especially in the North West. Some frost and fog in the South through the weekend.
“Very windy in the north on Sunday and into Monday. Temperatures around normal.”
High winds could be seen in northern and coastal areas in particular over the weekend, with gusts predicted to reach 51mph in Shetland on Sunday.
However, most of the country can expect calmer, brighter weather as more settled conditions follow behind the icy front that swept across Britain this week.
- UK weather: Yellow warning issued as much of country at risk of thunderstorms with possible flooding and travel disruption
- UK weather: Thunderstorm warning as heavy showers could cause floods and travel chaos
- UK weather: Temperatures drop to -4C as 11-day snow onslaught forecast
- UK weather forecast: 'Significant rain' and lightning to SMASH Britain ending 36C heatwave
- UK Weather Forecast: 40-day ‘Arctic Bubble’ set to envelope Britain triggering icy chaos
- UK weather warning: Torrential rain to hit - Flood warnings and alerts issued for Britain
- Cold weather LATEST: Met Office warns of ‘freezing fog’ and possible flight cancellations
- UK weather forecast: Britain set for snow as ‘Greenland cold bubble’ sweeps over THIS WEEK
- UK weather forecast: Map shows red-hot 80F European air hit before brutal lightning storms
- UK weather map: Britain braces for brutal gales next week after cold weekend
- UK weather map: Temperatures PLUNGE across Britain before storms arrive
- UK weather forecast: Britain set for hottest day of the year with 25C African heat blast
- UK weather forecast: Map shows heatwave tear through Britain - 100F heat to hit today
- UK weather forecast: Thunderstorms to smash into Britain - Met Office warnings
- UK Weather Map: Flood warnings in place as Hurricane Epsilon batters Britain TODAY
- UK weather warnings: Freezing fog and ice as the mercury plummets to -7C overnight
- Met Office issues urgent warning - lightning & torrential rain to smash Britain in hours
- UK weather: Sizzling 30C heatwave could return in African plume in a fortnight
- Met Office warnings EXTENDED as heavy rain sparks flood alert - latest update
- UK Weather: Relentless rain continues but three-day 27C scorcher is on the way
UK weather: Urgent warning extended as freezing cold conditions causing health risk forecast to continue into weekend have 653 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at January 26, 2023. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.