The Met Office has confirmed that an immense rainstorm is set to take hold of the UK for 24 hours.
The latter weeks of January and the beginning of February has been witness to freezing cold temperatures and snow storms in just some of the unsettled weather conditions the UK has experienced of late.
The forecaster at the national weather service had warned that following the recent dip in temperatures “changeable weather conditions are likely to bring rainfall, heavy at times, to the north and west”.
READ MORE: UK snow maps show monster 750-mile blizzard with ‘90% risk of dumping’ next week
The massive rain storm is expected to batter the UK on Thursday (February 2), as up to 100mm of rainfall could potentially fall in some areas.
Areas in North West Scotland as well as the far north are set to face heavy rain.
Met Office meteorologist Dan Stroud said: "Occasional rain today (Thursday, February 2) will become more widespread across northern Britain, perhaps with 5-15mm (falling) quite widely.
"However some hills and mountains may see 25-50mm.
"A further pulse of rain is expected, again this mainly affecting North West Scotland, perhaps giving an additional 100mm by the end of the day on Thursday over hills and mountains.”
He continued: "Beyond that high pressure is set to becoming more dominate, with high pressure over the UK or eventually to the east.
"However the wettest conditions (are) always reserved for the far north and west as we move into the first week of February."
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here .
The sheer amount of rainfall expected to drop means that there’s a realistic chance of flooding which has prompted flood alerts in 19 areas to be issued across the country.
Alongside the rainstorm, gusts could reach 80mph in northern Scotland.
UK set for -10C arctic plunge as snow on the way after 3,000-mile circle of wind
Extreme weather ‘polar vortex’ phenomenon could see new ‘Beast from the East’ hammer UK
Met Office issues Beast from the East prediction as maps show exact date snow ‘hits UK’
- Met Office weather warnings issued for almost WHOLE of UK as storm barrels towards Britain
- Met Office issues warnings as gales set to batter parts of UK after Storm Barra
- UK Weather: Met Office say snow will return Monday with most of us in for Arctic dumping
- UK snow warning: Met Office alert as 80mph jetstreak to spark chaos – 7cm of snow in HOURS
- UK weather: Snow to fall for two weeks in big freeze - Met Office issues yellow warnings
- Met Office issues new warnings of dangerous ice with Storm Arwen battering the UK
- UK weather forecast: Met Office issues yellow warnings for ice as Storm Barra hits
- UK snow LIVE: Britain battered with '3ft' of snow - new Met Office ice warning as -5C hits
- Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy snow - will it fall in your area?
- UK weather: Met Office issues another warning for snow this weekend as Storm Arwen bites
- UK flood warning: 28 areas at high risk as rain and 80mph winds to batter Britain - MAPPED
- Storm Barra: 65mph winds to batter UK with heavy snow also forecast
- Met Office new weather warning: More heavy snow & ice as temps feel like -5C in Birmingham
- Storm Arwen NAMED: Met Office issues new 'danger to life' weather warning for 80mph winds
- Storm Barra chaos as pair hit by falling tree are rushed to hospital
- BBC Weather: 'Damaging' 60mph winds to batter UK as transport disruption warnings issued
- UK snow forecast: Met Office issues winter weather warning as 5 days of snow begin
- Storm Barra to batter UK with heavy rain, 70mph winds and snow from today
- UK weather: Storm Arwen sees Met Office issue dangerous ice warnings for next two days
- Storm Arwen: Met Office warns of 75mph winds
Met Office says rain storm 'lasting 24 hours' will batter UK with four inches falling have 647 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at February 2, 2023. This is cached page on Travel News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.