The Associated Press Published 7:40 AM EDT Jul 16, 2019 Rochester, N.Y. – A 3-year-old boy died after falling into an underground grease collection tank behind an upstate New York fast-food restaurant. Rochester Police Investigator Frank Camp says the boy fell through a plastic cover into the grease trap behind a Tim Hortons restaurant Monday morning. Witnesses pulled the unidentified child out and administered CPR. Camp says the child was pronounced dead at Strong Memorial Hospital. He called the incident an “unspeakable tragedy.” Restaurant grease traps are designed to keep used oil and grease out of sewer systems. Alabama lawmakers passed legislation requiring more secure covers after a 3-year-old girl died in a 6-foot-deep grease trap in Auburn, Alabama, in October 2017. In Tulsa, Oklahoma, a 5-year-old girl was rescued after falling into a grease trap in March 2018. … [Read more...] about Boy, 3, dies after falling into restaurant grease trap
James David Dickson The Detroit News Published 7:58 AM EDT May 29, 2019 Harrison Township — A 69-year-old Harrison Township man died Monday after a house fire the previous day as his son cooked a meal, police said. The fatal fire startedat 8:40 p.m. Sunday at the Beachwood Townhomes on Metro Parkway and L'Anse Creuse, the Macomb County Sheriff's Office said in a statement. When deputies arrived, they were told that the victim, Christian Majewski, was still inside the house. Firefighters pulled him out and took him to a hospital, but he died on Memorial Day. The blaze, police say, was a grease fire that started as the victim's 41-year-old son was cooking. The son tried unsuccessfully to put out the fire, police said. He alerted his father and neighbors of the fire, but soon realized his father never left the home. He tried to re-enter it, but the flames and smoke proved impassable. The 41-year-old was taken to a hospital for smoke … [Read more...] about Sheriff: Father dies in grease fire started by son’s cooking
Micah Walker Detroit Free Press Published 4:29 PM EDT May 28, 2019 A 69-year-old Harrison Township man died Sunday after a kitchen grease fire, according to the Macomb County Sheriff's Office. The Harrison Township Fire Department and Macomb County deputies were called to the Beachwood Townhomes located at Metro Parkway and L'Anse Creuse Street at about 8:40 p.m. A 41-year-old man told deputies that his father, Christian Majewski, was still inside his townhome. Majewski was extracted by the fire department and transported to a local hospital where he died from his injuries the next day. More: Man, 72, accused of keying vehicles in Macomb County library parking lot More: Michigan State Police raid Macomb County prosecutor’s home Police said Majewski's son was cooking when a grease fire started. He was unsuccessful at putting out the fire and alerted his father. The son then left to alert his neighbors. When he realized Majewski … [Read more...] about Kitchen grease fire kills Harrison Township man, 69
Jack Avedesian Published 1:34 pm CST, Friday, March 8, 2019 Fried beef kerky from Yoakum Packing Company sits on the table as Jay Justilian (left) and John Kaplan (all with the Commercial Exhibits Committee) organize entered food during the 3rd Annual Gold Buckle Foodie Awards at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. less Fried beef kerky from Yoakum Packing Company sits on the table as Jay Justilian (left) and John Kaplan (all with the Commercial Exhibits Committee) organize entered food during the 3rd Annual Gold Buckle Foodie ... more Photo: Michael Paulsen, Staff Photo: Michael Paulsen, Staff Image 1 of / 7 Caption Close Image 1 of 7 Fried beef kerky from Yoakum Packing Company sits on the table as Jay Justilian (left) and John Kaplan (all with the Commercial Exhibits … [Read more...] about What happens to all that grease from the rodeo?
Updated 4:11 pm CST, Wednesday, December 12, 2018 SAN LORENZO, Calif. (AP) — A man who was possibly trying to burglarize an abandoned Chinese restaurant has been rescued from the grease vent, where officials say he had been trapped for two days. The Alameda County Sheriff's Office says deputies and firefighters were called to the vacant building in San Lorenzo on Wednesday after someone heard cries for help. It says that when officials arrived they found the grease-covered man stuck inside the metal vent. The sheriff tweeted that the man was trespassing and possibly trying to burglarize the empty restaurant. Alameda County Sheriff Sgt. Ray Kelly tells the San Francisco Chronicle the man was in generally good condition despite being exposed to the cold and the elements. Kelly says the unidentified man was checked into the hospital, and deputies will decide later whether to book him into jail or issue a citation. … [Read more...] about Crews rescue man stuck in grease vent of empty restaurant